Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good seat, bad installation manual, January 26, 2009
This review is from: CoPilot Limo Ex-1 Bicycle Child Seat (Sports)
I just installed this seat today and took my 3 year old out for a short test ride before it started raining. While I don't have experience with day-to-day usage yet, I would like to comment on the instruction manual for those parents considering this product and hopefully the manufacturer will read this, too. In short, the manual is unclear from step 1 onwards. There's no explanation of what a "seat stay" or a "braze-on" are, so if you're unfamiliar with these terms, you may have difficulty with installing this seat. More and bigger illustrations would be appreciated. It took me about 2 hours, mainly because I had to take the rear wheel of the bike off because there's not enough room between the smallest cog and the inside of the dropout. The manual also mentions a CG (Center of Gravity) hash mark that's supposed to help with alignment, but I couldn't find it.

One side note: I almost bought this seat from craigslist. "Almost" because the seller was honest enough to tell me that she doesn't have the installation manual anymore, and warned me about the installation difficulty.

I went to various bicycle shops to check out 3 different child seats (Limo, Taxi and one whose name I don't remember) and like this the most. Despite the comment above, which is just a one-time hassle, I still think this is among the best seat on the market. Time should tell whether it's worth the price. I also considered the iBert Safe-T Front Mounted Child Bicycle Seat, which I couldn't find in any local bike shop. One salesperson told me they don't carry that product because they feel front mounted seats are just not safe for children. Most accidents are head-on collision and children are better protected when they sit behind an adult.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2009 1:44:50 PM PDT
Actual User says:
"Seat stay" and "braze on" are common terms for anyone moderately familiar with bicycles. If you are not such a person, it would probably be smarter to have a bike shop install a child seat.

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 2:31:33 PM PDT
Wikipedia explains "seat stay", "braze-on" and a host of other such terms in its article entitled "Bicycle Frame".

Posted on Mar 25, 2010 10:12:01 AM PDT
I bought this seat from craigslist with no manual. The owner explained briefly and showed me where everything connects. I came home and installed it without a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010 5:16:22 PM PDT
Can you please explain to me how to install it...I downloaded the manual but my God still can not figure this rack out! HELP!

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 8:26:57 AM PDT
E. Haaland says:
Please listen to the fist comment (which for some reason Amazon customers don't think is relevant) and have a someone competent install the seat that will be keeping your child safe on the bike.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 7:19:51 AM PDT
chepukha says:
Thanks for your comment. I'm thinking about buying this child seat but wonder if it fits my bike. I see in the lower front of the child seat, there's a piece of plastic goes forward and I guess it must stick into the rack.
I have a bike rack like the one in link below, which has no hole to be sticked into. Could you please let me know if the bike seat will fit into that kind of rack?
Avenir Rear Road Bike Rack (Black, 700c)

Many thanks,

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 9:55:35 PM PDT
Robert Chien says:
I doubt it. The child seat only fits the Blackburn rack that comes with it. http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-EX-1-Bike-Rack/dp/B004CXBVJU
‹ Previous 1 Next ›