5.0 out of 5 stars Like nothing I have EVER heard!!!, October 14, 2009
This review is from: Christmas From The Heart (Audio CD)
I am almost afraid to write this review for fear it will sound like the biggest hype of all hypes. But honestly I have never ever heard anything more gorgeous than David's collection of Christmas songs here. I do not care what religion you are, don't even think about not buying this album. Seriously, you do not have to be a Christian, to love this music. It is a true masterpiece. And I do not say that lightly. David has managed in the most uncanny way to get inside each and every song and bring out the real Love that underscores them. I have had tears and chills throughout listening to it. His voice is an exquisite instrument and that combined with his ability to give new meaning to these songs, making each one almost like you have never heard it before, is quite an achievement. This is a word of mouth album. As the word spreads, I think it is going to explode onto the charts as one of the greatest Christmas albums of all time. I think most of us love these songs, especially at this time of the year. But this album is something else. It truly took me by surprise. It's almost like he showed me them as if I had never heard them before. David brings an energy here combined with his immense interpretive powers that transcends religions and genres. This music inspired me to write this review. It inspired me, also, to wish each and every one of you the merriest of Christmases and the happiest of New Years. Let's put it this way, I am now centered in the Christmas spirit. And it's not even Halloween yet. Given what is going on in our country, and all the hatred spewing and terrifying things we read about our economy and global warming and the terrible split between the right and the left, that is saying something. So again, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!! With heartfelt gratitude to you, David Archuleta.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2009 8:28:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2009 8:29:25 PM PST
I love David's voice which is beautiful. But clearly a non-Christian can't really buy a Christmas album. It's about something that isn't of value to us, no offense. But I look forward to his next pop/R&B album. I enjoyed his first album. And I'm guess the second will have a more radio friendly appeal than the first.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 11:30:38 AM PST
"But clearly a non-Christian can't really buy a Christmas album." Really? I would love to hear your detailed explanation of this profound idea, and you can also explain why nobody else makes such wonderful religious music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 1:19:44 PM PST
Tom says:
just because i am not a christian does not believe i grew up in a foreign land. my whole life i have, like everybody else, heard christmas music. i associate it with some of my deepest memories. so. this music is near and dear to me. perhaps i do not think of it in a deeply religious way. but i still love those songs. they are as much a part of me as all the cultural influences in my life. if that makes any sense. is that what i said? that nobody else makes such wonderful religious music. i do not think of it as religious, although perhaps david does. but i really think he meant this to be loved by everybody. christians and non christians alike. i doubt that he is so limiting. i think lots of people have wonderful christmas albums out. many of them are very very special. i just thought this one had something extra. but please, i do not mean to imply that no one else does. that is ridiculous and not true. i was just trying to convey how much this album really touched me. when i read your question, i did not know how to take it. were you being sarcastic? it kind of almost sounded that way. but i decided to answer it anyway. without defensiveness. even though i feel you were challenging me in a mean spirited way. if not, then i apologize. but i don't want to answer that way. just in case you were being authentic. :) merry christmas to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 1:25:23 PM PST
Tom says:
i apologize to you. hahaha. i thought you were asking me that question..:) i subscribed to this review in case there were comments and it came in as an email. and i didn't see the other person's comment. so i thought it was directed to me. i apologize for thinking you were being sarcastic. now i see you were being very sincere. thanks for your comments, geoff.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 7:50:06 PM PST
Well said Tom and I agree 100 percent. This is one gorgeous album!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2013 1:35:27 PM PDT
Violet says:
David says in his liner notes "I hope the music in this album will go beyond anyone's personal religious beliefs as I don't want anyone to feel that I am only addressing this to people who believe in a certain way. I want the experiences that you feel through the music to communicate to you in your own personal language, and in light of your spiritual or religious beliefs. Music has a universal message that can speak to people of different ages, beliefs and languages and can reach beyond the supposed obvious meaning of the lyrics to allow everyone to feel something special. It is my hope that through this music you can find something meaningful to you."

BTW I am not Christian - I love the album. I have heard most of these carols and songs before in my life and most are beautiful classical music. I love the inventive arrangements and I love David's voice. But more than that, I can strongly feel David's faith and joy through his singing. It feels good and it's beautiful to listen to.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›