5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Characters, Poetic Plot Make This the Best Book Ever, April 25, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Les Miserables (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a high school sophomore amd we had to read this book for school last semester. Honestly I wasn't encouraged by it's seemingly impossible thickness, nor by its slow start. Having never before seen any Les Mis movie or play or the musical (which is ALMOST as awesome as the book) I didn't know anything about the plot or the great characters and the whole experience was new to me. This is the only book I've ever read that has kept me up hours as night just to finish one beautiful part after another. My sister made fun of me that I would always talk to the book but when the believable characters act in ways that so thoroughly move your heart it's hard to resist sighing or commentary. Hugo is truly a master at combining every element of everything human to create characters from all walks of life and intertwine them into a poetically romantic plot that can only be described as beautiful. But don't skip the descriptions just to move from event to event. Hugo, I feel, has the unique ability to convey idea and thoughts and descriptions in a way that touches your heart and makes you think and yet at the same time doesn't bog you down with flowery adjectives. The language in his page-long paragraph descriptions flow so naturally you find yourself nodding and flipping pages and before you know it you're on to the next event in the plot. My friends laughed at me when we recently traveled to Paris and I wanted to buy the two-volume unabridged original Les Miserables- even though I don't know a word of French! It is a tragedy for any person with a poetic mind or a romantic heart to miss this book-truly a human classic.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2009 8:04:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2009 8:05:14 PM PDT
You write beautifully & eloquently!

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 12:50:37 AM PDT
You are wise beyond your years.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 11:45:57 AM PST
Tam says:
you are a darling, i wish you well in all your endeavors!!!

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:43:59 PM PST
I just wanted to echo what everyone else has said: you write beautifully and are wise beyond your years. Your review of "Les Miserables" warmed my heart. I'm reading the book now and loving it. I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful review and let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed it. You could easily be a writer!

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 2:51:56 PM PDT
N. Rourke says:
Bravo! God it's wonderful to see a person of your age capture the beauty and grace of literature! Don't ever change!

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:50:56 PM PDT
Thanks for your review, very helpful and enjoyable to read!

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 11:41:02 PM PDT
earp30wyatt says:
It doesn't matter what your "friends" think, or that they laugh at you because you are passionate, enthusiastic, and interested in classic literature as this. Don't change who you are, or your interests due to silly friends who don't know what they are missing. You and I both know that literature is life changing,and thank God you are open minded enough to experience it.

I read this book last winter,and I still am affected by it's beauty,and it's heart tugging prose of a story that truly makes you glad to be alive. I am wildly looking forward to the movie. I hope it doesn't disappoint. I love the music,and have not seen the Broadway production. I am just thrilled beyond belief that you loved this book, at your age. I wish I'd read it many many years soon. YOu are the luckiest person ,and your friends don't even know it!

Enjoy!

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 8:59:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2012 9:03:41 PM PDT
Self Helper says:
I am 52 now, but reading your touching review made me think of myself, just about your age, and getting my hands on this wonderful book when in high school. The way you described yourself, I was unable to sleep; I lived, breathed every page, like you-that was me... I remember literally crying over the last 50 pages of the book, believing that all good will ultimately prevail, that love would solve everything and hoping that one Spring day, I would visit Paris and walk the streets and parks of which Hugo spoke, and meet someone who look like Marius, and fall in love with him. Thank you for the memory!

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 1:43:46 PM PST
Unknown says:
I agree with you. Forced to read this novel in high school, I could not put it down. It was the only classic I eagerly read from first to last page. Your review is well written.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 3:23:46 PM PST
C. R. Causey says:
also, the first thing I noticed!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (383 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01