1.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the Quality???, April 4, 2010
This review is from: Keds Women's Champion Sneaker (Apparel)
I've ordered Ked's Champions in the past was very happy with the quality. The ones I recently received from this vendor are like the cheap rips-offs I could buy in ChinaMart for $5. No support, thin canvas - just junk. I'm taking pictures of them and sending them to Keds to ask if this is really their shoe. I think they are fakes.

UPDATE - I did contact Keds and they admit they are not making these shoes like they used to. No support, no padding, more narrow, thinner canvas. I've bought Keds for almost 35 years so I know the difference. Save your money. You can get this same sneaker in any cheap shoe store for between $5-$8, it just won't have a Keds tag. This is no longer the bargain it once was. Another really good American product turned into the lowest common denominator. What's really sad is most of the people buying this shoe don't even know it's junk compared to what Keds sold just a few years ago.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2011 5:45:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2011 5:45:52 PM PDT
tAsTytEmPAi says:
i completely agree with this review. The only reason I wear Keds is because of the design -- but I have to buy my own THIN insoles AND arch supports to wear them.

If you are going to buy this, expect to invest $20 per pair in insoles and arch support.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 7:35:42 PM PDT
VA Mom says:
Keds NEVER had arch support. Maybe the insole was thicker (I've never bought the newer ones). But I REMEMBER the keds when I was a kid ('60s and '70s) and the insoles were FLAT AS KANSAS... NO arch support EVER.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 2:09:53 AM PDT
Lemonade says:
I appreciate this review. Tks for doing the extra work of contacting Keds and posting your finding. A shame quality is lacking considering the asking price.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 5:17:17 PM PDT
A E King says:
I have just received my supposedly updated Ked's which I expected to have arch support and terry lining, and they are exactly as Earth Witch describes. I bought the real deal in London last year and they have been fabulous - much better quality than these ones.
It is very disappointing that Ked's are not doing the updated version anymore.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 8:52:00 PM PST
B. Lange says:
Thank you! I almost bought them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 6:03:52 PM PST
Wow... good to know. I was looking for another source for the Keds I love since the store I used to buy them at locally closed down. I haven't bought any in several years, I wear them till they fall apart... won't waste the money now after finding this out!

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 2:19:29 PM PDT
Emily says:
Just wanted to let you guys know that Keds did update the classic Champion with metal tips on the laces, a bit more arch support, and a revamped insole recently. I bought these in the red from ShoeMall here on Amazon, but my boyfriend bought the men's champions from Z@pp0s and they had a much better insole with noticeably different arch support & those other updates I mentioned. So not sure if ShoeMall is selling backstock, but I'd give the Keds a second chance, they are so cute and really nice for summer. I just want the new insole!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 9:48:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2013 3:44:57 PM PDT
I ordered a pair from Keds on-line thinking I would be receiving the same quality as before with no seconds, as they were $40.00, I was wrong. The shoes came apart within a year. The canvus frayed on one side where the fabric meets the sole; I could fit two fingers through the gap. Try Grasshoppers, I ordered from them; and received the quilty I had grown to expect.

UPDATE: Don't go w/ the Grasshoppers!! Last years didn't make it through the summer; once they were washed they fell apart. I gave them another try this year; I had blisters, and sore feet. I sent them back requesting a refund. This company is no longer producing the product we all grew up w/, save your money, and look elsewhere.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 2:59:33 PM PDT
mickeyb says:
keds is not making them- china is. we all know china has no quality control. they just want send us the shoddiest things ever. like lead in baby food and toys. nothing ever lasts over 2 months - I'm sick of it. I'll pay more for things made is usa. It's cheaper in the long run.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 1:46:36 PM PDT
Agree completely. New ones are of bad quality material especially on the insole. I Used to get a pair every year. I would wear them so much they would get ratty. This year they were cute but quality was missing and they smelled awful after just wearing a couple of times. I know some people have trouble with their shoes smelling but I never have in my life. I tried everything, but no luck. Had to toss them out. (I am a little obsessive about laundry and cleaning and I pride myself on being able to get out almost any stain and almost any odor. These shoes defeated me.) what a shame!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (978 customer reviews)

$40.00 $13.99 - $65.92