3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Packaging, Good Sound, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Klipsch RW12D 12-inch Reference Subwoofer (Electronics)
This product has extremly poor packaging. I've seen countless reviews explaining this but when the price dropped below 300 I went for it anyways. Ironically Newegg won't let anyone place a review for this since the day after I bought it a month ago(because they put the item on "preorder" status...maybe they were getting rid of their final stock of damaged boxes and didn't want a ton of bad reviews coming in?). There was a big hole in the side of the box and you could see the black painted side of the sub-woofer. Surprisingly there was just a small scratch so I thought I was in the clear since there were no other signs of damage to the box. I was wrong. The front grille had two broken pegs and the top front had 2 chips on the black wood surface. Too much work to return so I glued the chipped wood back(couldn't get it perfect so it's still noticeable if you look close). I haven't fixed the grille pegs yet but having two secure ones on top keeps it secure enough.

One star off for poor packaging and one star off for sound quality not blowing me away. It's still in the break in stage but the con is they use cheap and thin .75 inch multi density fiber board for the enclosure. I believe this takes away from the sound quality a bit. I have this paired with a Supercube II with the idea that this can handle the lower frequency sounds better(12 inch sub vs 8 inch sub). I have it concentrating on the frequencies 55 Hz and lower for movies and 80 Hz and lower for Music while the Supercube handles everything under 120 Hz(I have small Take Classic Energy speakers). Another thing I didn't expect from the pictures is how HUGE this thing is. I saw the dimensions and measured it out before buying but still wasn't prepared for how monstrous this is. Looks funny how it completely fills the space I had reserved for it. Really measure it out before buying.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2012 5:29:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 5:54:59 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Good review! My first RW-12 came from Amazon a few years back and arrived in perfect condition. My 2nd (from Newegg) showed up in a perfect box, but had the two broken grille pegs inside. Seems to me Newegg had a large stock of damaged and basically DROPPED subs they were blowing out the door for $300. I got some double sided Velcro dots and fixed the grill to where you can't tell. The sub itself works perfectly with no signs at all of damage to the amp or the speaker. Talked to Klipsch and even though the sub was under warranty (Newegg being on their list of approved dealers) they told me I should have shipped it in a safer manner! Hello? I have had everything from large tower speakers to new TV's sent UPS and all arrived in fine shape. Oh well, for $300 I guess I can not complain.......
After 3 weeks Klipsch sent me a brand new (and over-packaged for safety) full grille assembly!! Problem solved and I am happier with Klipsch now. (I love their speakers regardless)
Good luck with yours! Cheers, Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 5:37:51 PM PDT
Jabez says:
My RW-10 came from Newegg shipped only in the manufactures packaging...lable slapped on the box. Sure enough, 2 broken grill pegs....they just don't get it???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 5:42:51 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
I honestly think New Egg bought up all the damaged/returned goods and is blowing them out at very low prices. Mine functioned fine and Klipsch DID send me a new grill assembly for free but I had already fixed it with a couple of double sided little Velcro buttons. It is still in place after heavy use. Hey, I paid close to 800 for the first one and only 300 for the 2nd one and they are identical other than that grill peg problem.

My first one was bought from 6th Avenue via Amazon and showed up PERFECT. Go figure!

ENJOY YOUR SUB and try to Velcro dot solution. It worked great! Cheers! Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 7:18:16 PM PDT
T. J. Irvine says:
Nice to see they sent a new grill. I didn't bother contacting them as it stays on fine with the top two pegs and I will employ the Velcro button solution later. They are still blowing them out at that great price and have double boxed them now. The current reviewers say the new boxing solution is great and that they are now arriving in perfect condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 8:24:42 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Hey that's great T.J. If I didn't have two already I would buy another! HA HA HA ENJOY your sub! I must say, they DO rock! The front firing models work equally well for music as well as movies. My neighbors HATE ME! (nahh, I keep it down MOST of the time) Cheers! Marty G

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 7:40:18 AM PDT
Crispy says:
The dimensions are clearly stated in the details and accurate, that should not be part of your complaint. Also if it was chipped, it's not newegg's fault. Mine was packaged well, don't know how well yours was packed, but it's the senders fault and you should just have returned for a replacement, rating them lower because of your lack of motivation to return or exchange for this is again not newegg's fault. Lastly, dinging this sub for "sound now blowing you away and poor quality materials, what do you expect for only $300??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (80 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $550.29