Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this lens, August 27, 2008
This review is from: Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
I am thrilled to have bought this lens to mount on my Nikon D80 after having read loads of reviews on the few options available like the Sigma 50-500 or the Nikon 135-400 and 80-400. I wanted the longest possible range below $1,500 in a recognizable Brand. I narrowed my choice to the 50-500 or this one. The Optical Stabilizer and the fact that Sigma had proven itself with the 50-500 were the determining factors in my decision. So far I shot some 200 pictures of various subjects at various distances handholding the camera with the OS turned on. Half way through my shots I reverted from full manual mode to Aperture control and noticed an improvement in the sharpness and colors which tells me that I need to hone my skills with this lens. So far, I am amazed at the quality of my shots with this huge glass. I take all my pictures with a -.7 exposure compensation as I like very vivid pictures and until I develop a better feel for what the lens can do I will continue to used it with Aperture control. The Autofocus is smooth, the overall feel is quality and the pictures are phenomenal for the distance. I look forward to plenty of fun with this lens, if you go for it you won't regret it.

UPDATE: In response to the person who rated this lens three stars I would like to quote David Bush's book "Nikon D80 Digital Field Guide" where he states "most lenses produce their sharpest image approximately two stops less than wide open. For example, if you're using a zoom lens with an f/4 maximum aperture, it probably has its best resolution and least distortion at roughly f/8". I've practiced David's suggestion with my Sigma 150-500 and it works beautifully, but like everything else, it takes some time to getting used to unless you're a professional photographer then you'd know this before hand. I added a few recent pictures shown above as part of this review.

I purchased my lens from B&H and it came in Sigma's black nylon zipped box which keeps the lens practically immobile. The box was very safely packaged when it arrived.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2011 3:08:34 AM PDT
Zuludigital says:
Yes most lenses are average where average folks don't care/don't have the eye. I have used the Sigma 50-500 for 12 years. It's the lightest on the market but I am just sick of the softness at the open end. Prosumers like ourselves would hope to see some improvement over this time line, because, quite frankly pro lenses like the Nikon 200-400mm f4 are sharp wide open. They are the few/not the most - and we'd like to see a little more creep to the pro end. I'd pay $500 more to get a stop back faster than one can say 1/500s. (sorry for rant)

Posted on May 1, 2014 12:39:46 PM PDT
Mark John says:
Dude! Your bird shots rock! Thanks!

Posted on Oct 11, 2014 6:55:32 PM PDT
Sorry and I really don't want to be mean, but to me those pics are not very sharp at all. I was hoping for something much better. Of course, I have no idea under what conditions the pics were taken, how far or at what camera settings/focal length.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2014 4:58:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2014 4:59:00 PM PST
Agree with Donald. These photos would not make me run out and buy this lens. Do you have more current samples? Sometimes there is learning curve with a new lens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2014 7:48:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2014 7:49:37 AM PST
Anil Bakshi says:
Donald, Cindy : The images shown here by JohnM are mere 100 KB JPEGS. May be scaled from 10 MB files.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2014 7:23:17 PM PST
If you want better/sharper pics, buy a better/more expensive lens and quit complaining about why Sigma's lenses are not as sharp as lenses by Canon, Nikon which cost twice as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2014 7:31:41 PM PST
The problem with that is, you can't. A 500 MM Canon lens is something like $15,000 and Nikon is even more. I'm waiting to see if the new Sigma 150-600 is worth 2 grand.

Posted on Jan 1, 2015 7:25:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2015 7:26:11 PM PST
theblakdots says:
this pictures are very soft. you probably got one defective

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 10:36:06 AM PST
I agree with you on sharpness, not so. I too will be shooting with the Nikon D7100 and can't wait! I did see some really sharp photos of birds on the D7100 on a website: uglyhedge

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2015 7:32:23 PM PST
Gary M. says:
I completely agree and was thinking the exact same thing. There was fuzziness on every one of them, which is a shame, because the shots themselves are really quite impressive in composition.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›