2.0 out of 5 stars Horridly non-customizable, and forced subscriptions., August 5, 2010
This review is from: TomTom XL 350M 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Lifetime Maps Edition)(Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I had a TomTom 330S, but it was 3 years old and the map was old and it seemed a good idea to just get a brand new one with lifetime maps. I am SO sad and disappointed.

My old 330S is such a nicer unit .. the new map was nice though, so I will pay $100 for the new map now. Ready for my list .. this is what they TOOK AWAY.

- No auto-dimming.
- No auto power off option (when you turn your car off)
- No POI features .. they give you tons but you cannot add your own or even set up POI to alert you (handy for doing your own speed camera file).
- No screen or menu customization .. the display is the display, so for instance 2D-3D toggle is dead centre and I endlessly would keep flipping between the two by accident -- would be nice optionally not have it on the MAIN screen.
- Numbers are itty bitty now and you are forced to have information you may or may not find useful. for instance counting down the time to arrival, I just need the estimated time of arrival .. too much information takes my eyes onger to find what I need (which is a MAJOR factor and pest when driving).
- no map "log a point" feature anymore, so harder to fix errors (granted the map probably has way fewer errors to worry about).
- the map .. it take a good hour to download and install. it was nice, but was wondering if I was up to doing that every 3 months.
- only one additional dash sticky disk (the idea being they gave you two in case you had a couple cars, or change the vehicle you had. Just seemed cheap.

I am pretty certain that these new units are designed to have no customization, and any "feature" has to be turned on and controlled by TomTom -- ie. subscription to say a unique POI warning.

On a good note, the speaker seemed better .. a tad deeper and that gave it a quality sound more.

I have been buying TomTom (this would have been the 5th) because like just flipping over my speed camera, school zones, tim horton, bank POI file (and setting the speed camera up with an alert). I bought one for my niece and dad and I would just give them my file to drop in. With these new restrictions -- it is VERY likely I will look at other brands very carefully as there is no reason for me to stick to this "format" anymore. If this is your first GPS and are happy signing up to their subscriptions etc .. you probably will find it is just fine as you essentially have nothing better to compare it too.

Very disappointed .. let down I guess.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2010 1:51:25 PM PDT
Andrew Dodd says:
I had the same disappointment you had. The "EasyMenu" system is a MAJOR step backwards. However, it is possible to recover most of the functionality by installing a custom menu file - http://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/22302-how-get-more-menu-options-models-easymenu-4.html (If the link gets filtered out, google "TomTom EasyMenu disable".

However, TomTom should not have removed these features in the first place, or at least should have allowed EasyMenu to be disabled in favor of "classic" menus.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›