Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars Owner's Manual, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Sylvania SDVD1332 13.3-Inch Swivel Screen Portable DVD Player with USB/SD Card Reader (Electronics)
This appears to be a new item at this time, can't find any reviews anywhere, and even manufacturer's information seems incomplete. But I found the owner's manual at curtcoint dot com (spelled out so Amazon doesn't delete it), in case anyone is interested. According to the manual, it appears the unit does have resume play memory (can be disabled); barely 2 hours run time with earphones (included) so probably less using the speakers, battery is an internal Lithium Polymer unit (manual shows location, disassembly required for replacement).

It includes a remote, but it's the small flat type with roundish bumps for buttons like those common on small players, all bunched together. I'm still deciding whether to order one, but the remote would be pretty useless for the person I'd buy it for, they need one with regular buttons in more logical positions as on typical TV remotes. It can play PAL and NTSC standards.

UPDATE 5/16/2013: I took a chance and ordered one. Seems to have a problem with the sound going up to full blast every time it is powered on. I've tried different audio as well as video (just in case) settings and it's still the same, regardless of the kind of disks being played. I tried a few different file formats to see how it does: mp3, mp4, flv, rmvb, mkv, jpg, wma, avi, mov. Only the mp3 and jpg formats are supported out of this list. Sound is on par with small cheap electronics; a little tinier sounding and a narrower frequency response range than the Sony DVPFX980 9-Inch Screen DVD Portable it is replacing. The Sony also has better black level and wider viewing angle, and also no light bleed that I noticed. The Sylvania has slight light bleed across the bottom edge that's noticeable only in black backgrounds. Sony also has a better remote. The only advantage on the Sylvania over the Sony is the much larger screen (big advantage, no pun intended), and it supposedly support the PAL broadcast standard but I haven't been able to test this yet. Oh yes, the Sylvania also supports SD cards beside USB drives, and the power cord is normal length instead of Sony's approx. 40" cord that everyone complaints about. I have not tested battery life, but not expecting much given the large screen. It is very light-feeling; the Sony feels like it weights the same subjectively, and feels and looks especially better made.

I just now found out I cannot access the Preference tab in Settings, where there is an option to reset the unit back to factory settings, among other things. Would like to try a reset to see if it helps with the sound level issue, but it won't go into this tab for me.

Amazon sold a bunch of these by now. I'd appreciate hearing whether the full blast sound on power on problem is common, or maybe just my unit.

UPDATE 5/23/2013: I requested an exchange from Amazon because of the issues above. Unfortunately the replacement was the same: sound goes to max every time it's turned on, Preference tab in the settings is not accessible. I'll try the manufacturer, if they can be contacted, but I find these kind of experiences usually frustrating and a waste of time and so have been putting it off.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2013 3:49:27 PM PDT
Dr. A says:
you can access the preference settings when there is no CD or DVD inserted into the unit. Just take out the CD or DVD and you should have no problem

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 7:27:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2013 7:30:45 PM PDT
Teddy says:
Dr. A is 100% spot on. Also, the volume resets to hi position upon turn on automatically. Re: Most likely so the user can hear and also see when the unit begins playback. And then you manually reduce the sound to your specific preference. I would say this is a manufactured setting and is not adjustable. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 4:27:02 AM PDT
PC Tech says:
Thanks for the tip on accessing the Preference tab. I ended up returning mine. It seems to be a good value at the price we paid considering the screen size but the volume thing is a nuisance, and since this unit isn't used for traveling even though it was replacing an old portable player, I bought a 22" LED TV with a built-in DVD player instead for about twice the price.

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 11:24:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2013 11:26:21 PM PDT
paradise 49 says:
I am shopping for a new DVD player because my Sony DVPFX 9 inch lasted only 18 months before it refused to recognize any DVD as playable. It replaced a 7 inch Haier ( that still works after 8 years by the way ). The Haier screen has to be propped up because of broken hinges. I purchased the Haier at an after Christmas sale at Macy's . The Sony was not very user friendly. It was a gift and I don't mourn it's passing in the least.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2014 6:15:24 PM PST
There was no way to make your modified settings your Default settings?

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:20:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2015 7:22:12 AM PDT
Ral says:
I purchased one of their so called re-furbished units... I was happy to save some $$$$'s and usually do place some faith in refurbished units..however I was wrong.. right out of the box the stupid player did not even recognize that a DVD was placed in the drive and the motor that spins the drive was conking out repeatedly.. from a rapid spinning motion sound to an almost a dead drop stop.. then the screen said "NO DISK" HUH! whats this? then I placed another DVD movie into the drive same thing happen.. was my unit a lemon? most definitely.... yes! ..... was my unit ever actually refurbished and tested? most definitely NO.. as it seems..this unit is going back for credit.. no replacement.. furthermore I was under the impression that Sylvania was out of business.. never knew they were still around! No matter.. I'm going elsewhere to purchase a name brand I can trust.. nothing personal against AMAZON ..I still shop there... just be a little weary about buying refurbished electronics... you never know if they are actually refurbished with quality control in mind..It appears not..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2016 1:56:09 AM PST