4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to last year, but worth it for PC baseball fans, March 11, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Major League Baseball 2K12 - PC (Video Game)
Let me start by saying two things:

1) When one of the "new features" listed is "Tracks handpicked by SPIN magazine, featuring Cool Kids, Skrillex, The Joy Formidable, Grouplove, My Morning Jacket and more", I think it's safe to say that it's a slow year for new features. (I have never heard of any of the bands...and who buys a PC sports game because of the soundtrack anyway?)

2) If you are a PC gamer and you want a 2012 baseball game, stop reading now, go back, and hit the "order" button. It's not the greatest PC game of all time but it's certainly worth $30 if you are a PC baseball fan.

Okay, so now to the review. Let me start with the "new features". (Most of the game is very similar to last year's version, which is not necessarily a bad thing: I liked last year's version for the most part).

*MLB Today Season Mode - looks cool, but a little too early to review this since the season hasn't started. The concept is definitely exciting.

*Dynamic Tendency System - in the course of my 8-9 games played, I haven't really noticed this yet. Of course, when I'm pitching, I always try to mix it up (location, speed, pitch type) so I may not be the target audience for this.

*New Throw Meter - Ugh. So...I understand what they were trying to do: make fielding more realistic. If you field a ball on the run, do you wait a second to set your feet or do you just fling it off-balance and hope for the best? Unfortunately, the implementation is pretty hit-or-miss. In one game where the CPU was fielding for me (I was the pitcher in My Player mode), my 2nd baseman fielded a routine ground ball...went through about a 5-second exaggerated throwing animation that looked like he was trying to wrap his arms around himself 12 times...and by the time he actually threw the ball, the hitter was safe by a mile. This was a routine ground ball to 2nd base, where the hitter should have been out by about 30 feet. I say again: ugh. I don't have a problem with more realistic fielding, but this is NOT more realistic fielding. The animations are sometimes forced at the expense of realistic baseball logic, and that is just unacceptable.

*Improved My Player Mode - In my opinion, this is the whole reason to play 2K baseball games. This is where I spend about 80% of my time. I've already created one pitcher and one hitter and I'll probably create more because this year, it's easier to specialize. You can select your "player type" and depending on what you select, you get extra bonuses in certain areas. (So if you select "speedster" you get more speed and acceleration, etc). Is it a little harder to create a 5-tool monster? Yep. But how many 5-tool monsters are there in MLB? A handful? 99.9% of all the players are specialists of one sort or another. I kind of like the idea of creating a speedy leadoff hitter, and then tomorrow creating a hulking slugger. Maybe I'll try to bump up my speedster's power at some point...maybe I'll try to increase my slugger's speed rating...but maybe not, and that's okay. It is a LOT of fun taking a youngster up from AA ball to the majors and then trying to carve out a Hall of Fame career.

*Soundtrack - uh...as I mentioned, when "soundtrack" is one of your main "new features", it is a slow year for new features.

What's weird is that there is actually a new feature that is not listed as a new feature: the play-by-play and color commentary. It's MUCH better this year. Do they still have trouble staying on topic? Sure. Are they sometimes repetitive? Sure. But most of the time, it almost sounds like an actual play-by-play guy and an actual color guy doing an actual MLB game.

All in all, MLB 2k12 is a solid effort and I look forward to playing throughout the baseball season.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2012 12:43:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2012 12:45:49 AM PDT
waterbowl says:
Nothing new about the franchise mode? It's the only mode I play in. Franchise mode is still popular among many players.

I agree about the soundtrack. I don't get why they add so many bands popular among tweens in sports games...

The main problem about these games, is that they don't always have enough upgrades or new features to warrant a full price tag purchase. This game will go down in price pretty shortly I'm betting(they always do, don't they?), so for most wanting to get it, waiting and getting it cheaper is, I think, the way to go about these games. Don't forget that the PC version gets it's patches at a much, much later date. When the patches do come out, starting your my player or franchise over is usually a good idea anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 9:10:06 AM PDT
Bert K says:
How do you play baseball?

I have the game but the menu is confusing and can't figure out just how to play.

It has me doing everything else like placing people on disability leave, trading players, etc.

I just want to play the game now. LOL

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 6:00:46 PM PDT
Eric DiPier says:
Waterbowl - I haven't gotten into Franchise mode yet, I have just been playing Exhibition and My Player modes. I know the "play along with the season" is new and that seems like a cool idea. I liked Franchise mode last year so as long as they didn't take away any features, I'll be happy.

Lambert - on the main menu, the top "window" is the Exhibition game. Click on that and it will bring you to another screen where you select the teams and the stadium and then you can play a game. The menu is confusing, I can't argue with that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.5 out of 5 stars (77 customer reviews)

$99.95