5.0 out of 5 stars It works great in my skylight., March 22, 2012
This review is from: Antennas Direct DB4E Antenna (Electronics)
I had previously purchased an Antennas Direct DB2 antenna that initially worked great. However, at certain times of the year, especially during windy or stormy weather and solar flare activity, the reception on a few channels would fade in and out. It was very disconcerting. But because of my confidence in the quality of products from Antennas Direct, I decided to upgrade to the DB4e to see if the problem could be resolved.

When I received the DB4e, I mounted it in my skylight (see photo), in the spot where the DB2 had been. The DB4e is more than twice as large as the DB2, so I wasn't sure if a skylight installation was going to be practical at all. If it did not work well there, I would have reluctantly mounted it on the roof, where I'm certain it would pick up even more channels.

Well, it works great in the skylight and my reception has never been better. I now get 119 channels on my living room TV and 130 on my bedroom TV (I have no idea why they don't pick up the same number of channels, but they don't). I am 21 miles away from the transmitters. The signal strength on 90% of the channels is 92 or higher, while the lowest signal strength on the very weakest channels is still over 75. More importantly, unlike the DB2, the diagnostics on my TV indicate "0 errors," along with very impressive "signal to noise" ratios. I have not noticed any fade or wavering in any of the diagnostics at all. If I ever do notice it, I will update this review.

UPDATE: I've owned this antenna for over 2 years now and the only problem I have had with it is occasional momentary drops out with channel 7 in L.A. From what I understand (not being a techie) Channel 7, 9, 11, and 13 are the only L.A. stations whose physical channels are the same as their channel numbers, making them VHF signals (see list below). All of the other station's physical channels are in the UHF range, which this antenna is specifically designed for. I've never noticed any dropouts on any of those channels. The very rare dropouts on channel 7 do not happen frequently enough to coax me into mounting the antenna onto the roof, and the only other dropouts I have ever encountered have been very rare in duration (1/4 second or less resulting in a very temporary deterioration of the picture) on channel 9. Both can be explained because this is a UHF antenna. Be that as it may, my 5 star review still stands. END OF UPDATE.

One other note, the DB4e comes almost fully assembled. All you have to do is remove a couple of rubber bands and cardboard used for internal packing, install two metal sleeves and tighten their respective screw/bolts/nuts, and connect the coaxial cable. That's it. It could not have been easier.

I highly recommend it!