5.0 out of 5 stars Best Missing Manual Review Ever, August 21, 2012
This review is from: OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual is better than any of the best selling OS X Missing Manuals before it.

Mountain Lion is based upon Lion. The Pogue Press - O'Reilly team was able to bring OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual to us much sooner because it is based upon Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual. Words and images are not changed where there was no reason to change them.

I believe it is the best in part because it begins with Chapter 0, a tutorial. This tutorial clearly and simply walks you through how Apple designers want you to work with Lion and Mountain Lion. You will work with gestures on the trackpad, with the launchpad, and in full screen mode so you concentrate on your subject. You will be in control of what is on your screen with Mission Control. You can decide for yourself whether you like this new way of working, and when it will work best for you. I am learning and finding I like to work this way.

OS X Mountain Lion The Missing Manual is better because Mountain Lion has so many new and improved things that provided material for David Pogue to write about.

The Missing Manuals have been famous for their many interesting and useful tips. With the features added in Lion and Mountain Lion there seem to be many more of them. I counted 79 tips in the first 100 pages.

OS X Mountain Lion The Missing Manual is written in David Pogue's clear and reader friendly style. It has Pogue's sense of humor. It probably helps that he doesn't type his books, he talks them into his computer. This time he was able to talk about dictation in Mountain LIon.

There are many very good well labeled illustrations that help to clarify the narrative. I like the style in the one showing what happens when you click the minimize button which was retrained from Mac OS X Lion as well as the new ones created for OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual.

When I bought the initial ebook release of this book, many of the hyperlinks for the index were not yet there. They are in the current free update. You have to admire the way that David Pogue and his team with O'Reilly publishing managed to create and publish such an informaton packed book with over 800 pages as quickly as they did.

It will take me much longer to finish reading OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual. .I am looking forward to studying one subject at a time, and to referring to this manual as my primary source when I have questions or need help.

I have already used it as a reference to answer a question brought up at our Macintosh User Group meeting.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2012 7:24:43 PM PDT
I have Mac OSX Lion, the Missing Manual. My son installed Mountain Lion for me.

Is it worth it for me to purchase OSX Mountain Lion, the Missing Manual? I barely read the Lion book but want to get up to speed with Mountain Lion.

I am not sure what to do, or if there is another manual that would better fit the bill or should I just bite the bullet and purchase the Mountain Lion manual

Thnks! Shira

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 5:53:05 AM PDT
I owned OS X Lion The Missing Manual and was surprised to see the same wording in OS X Mountain Lion The Missing Manual. I would definitely buy OS X Mountain Lion The Missing Manual again-just as I would buy OS X Mountain Lion again. There is so much that is new and improved.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 7:33:45 AM PDT
Thanks for writing, Hartley. If I understand correctly, you own both books? Lion and Mt. Lion by Pogue?

I am trying to decide which of the Mt Lion books to purchase. Do you think the Pogue would be best of all the books out there even though I already own his Lion book?

Thanks again! shira

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 11:16:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 11:17:39 AM PDT
kindle version?
edit: oh here it is: OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 1:08:18 PM PDT
Yes, I believe Pogue's OS X Mountain Lion the Missing Manual is the best book to buy. I believe it has the best information about Mountain Lion in one book. Why would you want to have to look at his Lion book for the best information about what was in Lion, and in another book for what is the best about Mountain Lion?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 2:19:04 PM PDT
Okay...Thanks. I got the OX Mountain Lion, the Missing Manual on order! Maybe I can sell the Lion one.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:37:07 AM PST
Lindaj1951 says:
Pogue is fun and easy to read...at least the last book I purchased, Snow Leapord, was. Even If I didn't read much. It was packed with tips and easy to understand information. I trust this new manual to be the same, and it is a bestseller, and rated very high.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 9:46:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2013 9:47:45 AM PDT
Penina says:
Thanks for your detailed review! I'm a first-time Apple/Mac user and am wondering, is this manual possibly too technical, or does it have a lot of unexplained tech jargon? I desperately need a clear, step-by-step instruction manual for a beginner -- for instance, I keep enlarging the screen without wanting (although I would appreciate a small increase in font size overall) and don't know how to downsize the font. Are the classes good for this sort of thing, and the book? Thanks very much in advance for any advice you can offer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 1:40:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2013 1:42:55 PM PDT
OS X Mountain Lion The Missing Manual well written for all users, The language is not too technical for beginners. However, it is not written specially beginner. David Pogue is my favorite writer, but you might also want to consider another book, OS X Mountain Lion: Visual QuickStart Guide by Maria Langer. She is also a very good writer specially for beginners. I have not been able to review her book.

For specific answers to your questions, see if there is a Macintosh user group in your area, or maybe just a Mac user. User groups are very willing to help, and most questions require some correspondence to determine what it is you are doing and then recommend what you might do differently to obtain the results you want.

I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 11:24:05 AM PDT
Penina says:
Thanks so much for your suggestions -- i'm going to follow up on them, and also look at the Langer book. Really appreciate your help!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (204 customer reviews)

$39.99 $26.33