Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Living and dying for the sake of Shih Tsu, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Seven Psychopaths (DVD)
Martin McDonagh, among the best known Irish directors previously won an Oscar for the short movie Six shooter A Collection of 2005 Academy Award Nominated Short Films although he is perhaps best known for the acclaimed In Brugesalso starring Colin Farrell, a dark comedy with tragic overtones about two hitmen on the run.

I first heard of this movie last year when I saw the movie The Guard directed by his brother Michael John. A trademark of the McDonaghs is dark humor mixed with some irony and perhaps even some philosophy together with some absurdity. As I loved The Guard so much and it has the biggest domestic box office of any Irish movie ever made, I looked forward to this latest movie with more than a little anticipation.

If you're like me and like American directors who also write such as Tarantino with Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill, or the Coen Brothers with No Country for Old Men, I think you will also like this.

Seven Psychopaths centers around an Irish screenwriter nemed Martin played by Colin Farrell planning to write a movie about seven psychopaths. Life begins to imitate art as a similar tableau to the one he writes about starts to unfold in real life.

Woody Harrelson plays Sam a local organised crime leader whose dog is kidnapped by Walken and Sam Rockwell's character who happen to be friends of Martin. Sam cares more about dogs than people. The real mixes with the imaginary in very intriguing ways, and kept the movie audience entertained. I particularly liked the scenes with the Vietnamese priest and the hooker, and the Quaker story. There is also a hit man with a white rabbit played by Tom Waits.

The revelatory performance in this movie comes from Sam Rockwell when he helps out Martin with the screenplay lending some psychotic absurdity to the scenes although everyone is excellent.

What I like is that McDonagh while clearly inspired by Tarantino and Coen imposes his unique style and does not kowtow to Hollywood conventions and delivers a movie that experiments with different styles of humor and yet manages to engross you so much in the moment that you do not attempt to guess the end. If you do you would probably guess wrong.

I love how he works the opening scene with two hitmen discussing preparing for a hit and how the scene turns out.

While I would not consider this better than say In Bruges there is a certain heaviness in the theme of In Bruges that is not present here and some people may prefer the more light hearted nature of this movie which is a highly welcome and worthy addition to the McDonagh repertoire.

I hope the McDonagh brothers will work together as I think they could give the Coen brothers a run for their money.

I think you will love it and I hope this was helpful.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2012 2:37:57 PM PDT
Just real quick, that's Tom Waits, not Lyle Lovett. Just a quick note.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 3:01:28 PM PDT
Thanks. I will amend

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:49:05 AM PST
Hey there L.P.--Gotta comment now that I can in the good ole' U. S. Of A. You speak of a vastly underrated actor (in my estimation), this being Sam Rockwell. One can count on (me) quirky and different varied personas. I'm gonna slide in here at this point his interesting role in the little seen flick, 'Snow Angels'. Yes his slightly odd nature is present within a completely absorbing testament along with the beguiling Kate Bekinsale outside the vampire stuff that her talent is ending up wasted on (I see she looks pretty hot in those 'Underworld' get-ups as I am not blind!)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 2:52:07 PM PST
Inkhorn says:
It so happens that Iquite like Kate Beckinsale so I will add that to my list. I did like Rockwell as the mad criminal in Green Mile, and you might like his turn in Choke if you have not seen that.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 4:12:08 PM PST
G. Williams says:
The movie was well made at least the first 35 minutes. However, my taste is not for glamorous blood. I am sure that if I could recognize that the theme was pretty good satire, that I would have watched the entire movie. I tried to watch pulp fiction too. I did watch the usual suspects. But pulp fiction and 7 psychopaths are the only two movies that I have walked out on. I left when the torched the goofy guy with a long beard and a dog. I think this stuff is not artful but more on strange humor. I liked "fine mess". Shoving a drug up a horses rear end is about as much goofy stuff this old duffer can enjoy. Luckily we all have different tastes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 8:14:47 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 9:42:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2013 9:46:04 PM PST
What's old (age ain't nothin' but a number)? I'm 58 and fairly
opened minded and though I like Tarantino & Fincher (oh, they
aren't OUT enough these days?) I couldn't get my head around this flick. Walken was my main point of attraction and I was only moderately interested in his character during this adventure. "Artful", "strange humor" call it what you want I could've watched a recent favorite and been more fulfilled. Thank heaven for different tastes.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 2:47:42 PM PST
CHINATOUCHE1 says:
Thanks, We're American and love all these guys(especially Sam Rockwell) so... we bought the movie based on your review!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 1:11:53 AM PST
Inkhorn says:
Thank you. This is the type of feedback I love.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›