5.0 out of 5 stars The low reviews on here have nothing to do with the show...be aware, July 2, 2010
This review is from: Glee: Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First, all of these low reviews are based on the fact that people bought Season 1, Volume 1 DVD's of the show - and are now mad that they are releasing a full season on DVD. Here are a couple of points that you should acknowledge before putting up a low rating:

1. They started selling Volume 1 before the entire season was complete. If you think about that for a minute - how were they going to sell a "whole" season DVD if the shows had not even aired yet? How can you be surprised that you would then be faced with a choice at the end of the season between buying the full season in one set or having to buy Volume 2? Other shows have done the same thing, like Battlestar Galatica. Sure, they do it to make money - to hit the market while the shows are hot - but the fault is really the consumer. If we all stopped buying these 1/2 season DVD's, they would stop selling them. You KNOW they are gonna release a full season DVD at the end of the season. Heck, even if a show is cancelled, they still release it on DVD to make extra money. Be patient.

2. Volume 2 is listed here on Amazon for pre-order and they are giving a discount to anyone who bought Volume 1, if they buy the whole season 1. Don't make it sound like you are being forced to buy the whole season now. You have the option of getting Volume 2, or getting the full season at a discount.

As for the show, I love it. The writing and dialoge is well crafted and the characters, though somewhat stylized, are believable. I will admit, that the last couple shows seemed to lose a step and allowed the music to become more important that the storyline - so, hopefully now that the urgent competition is over, the story lines would be allowed to grow. I did like that they have broadened the focus, allowing the supporting cast to do more solo work and shine more in the singing department. The character of Sue is one of the best characters written on any show today.

Now that the first season is out on Blu-ray, I would encourage those who have heard about the show - who may have caught an episode or two - to start at the beginning and enjoy the Glee experience. We finally have a show that combines comedy, drama, musical features, and good writing. Take the chance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 16, 2010 4:04:31 AM PDT
Rubén says:
Thank you for your voice of sanity and detailed review. Patience really *is* a virtue.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 10:11:51 AM PDT
Geoff Hardy says:
Thank you! My wife (and I) knew full well what we were getting into when she HAD TO HAVE the 1st volume right away, even knowing there would be a complete season offered later. That being said, how do you claim the discount Amazon is offering for the complete season? We bought the 1st volume through Amazon. Will the discount automatically be given at checkout? and I assume this is in addition to the pre-order discount? If anyone has an answer, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 4:53:13 PM PDT
Elo says:
The only time I've seen entire tv seasons released in one box after the season was already broken up into separate volumes is when the complete series is released, such as in Battlestar Galactica. So waiting until the end of the season for the complete season in one box usually doesn't work; most times you'd have to buy the separate volumes to complete the season.
But I agree that the Review section is not the place for complaints like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2010 10:37:24 PM PDT
I felt the same way and am also curious about how to claim the discount

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 7:26:52 PM PDT
I, too, would like to know how to claim an additional discount. I haven't seen anything about getting a better price if you bought Part 1 from Amazon (which I did).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 8:28:33 AM PDT
R. Paton says:
I think the discount is added automatically. I ordered volume one, and the complete first season is available to me for $35.49. My friend (who didn't buy volume one) is forced to pay the full 59.98 for hers. Sooo...I'm thinking this discount is automatically distributed..?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 5:07:31 PM PDT
JerryYelton says:
I won't be automatically given through Amazon, you have to go to Fox's website and get a paper called a "Gleebate" or Glee Rebate that you mail in with your proof of purchase of volume 1 and the full season. Then they will mail you a rebate check after they recieve your proofs of purchase. Hope that helped.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 12:06:25 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 8:05:23 PM PDT
Robert Moore says:
What you mean is that not all the low reviews have to do with the show.

I haven't written a review yet, but I think this is an exceptionally weak show. Weak characterization, poor writing, mediocre song selections, and American Idol quality performances. I watch it and mildly enjoy it, but I like it only enough to keep watching. But people act like it is a great show, and in no conceivable way is it. Unless your standard of great is American Idle.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2010 12:01:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2010 12:01:37 PM PDT
Larry Davis says:
Actually Robert, you're in the minority here...I personally think the show is brilliantly written...even tho it's a TAD stylized, it works, and I too think Sue Sylvester is one of TV's greatest characters, past and present...she's complex, funny as hell, mean and strict but fair and with a bit of heart. I got into the show because of Jane Lynch because of her past work in Christopher Guests' movies, and I was not disappointed. All the other characters are swell too and the way "Glee" combines comedy, music, drama, and unorthodox but real subject matter in a creative, intricate way is just spot-on...at first I wasn't into the musical numbers because, I'm normally not into covers, and the songs were too mainstream pop and by bands/artists I normally hate or don't gravitate towards...BUT the cast's perfromances and the creative rearrangements turned me around...I have all 5 CDs...I just wonder if all 58+ of the other tracks from the show on iTunes and not on CD will ever make it onto CD, in a boxset in the future...for the collectors??

I love the way the set is packaged...I have the Target edition with the bonus 8th disc considering of a 1-hour Q&A session with the cast...worthy to have...the slipcase, one-snap case and circular trays inside, really cool and compact...the special features are fun, if many of them a little short...I'm officially in love with Jayma Mays...I thought she was megacute in that Kevin James movie "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" and I think her character on "Glee", Emma Pillsbury, is adorable in her insecure self, BUT seeing what she likes in the features made me think, "that's it, I'm in love"...cats, old/alt-country music and peanut butter...I'm not obsessed over white linens though but I like them.

My ONLY complaint, and this is minor...no, it's not the whole price thing or buying the 1st half of Season 1...I held out...no, my one complaint is the "Glee Jukebox"...you get the last half but not the first half...I expected there to be a Jukebox feature on all the songs, but there wasn't...slightly disappointed...that and all songs not being available on CD. Now, we're on Season 2 and the 1st CD is just in 2 weeks, an EP of "The Rocky Horror Glee Show"...prob for Halloween...should be fun.

Otherwise, outstanding, best show on TV right now, up there with "Lost" in alltime faves. When the show finishes and a complete set comes out, I will get that on Blu-Ray. Until then, DVD editions for me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (968 customer reviews)

$69.99 $16.99