4.0 out of 5 stars How to save money on this book about how to save money, August 4, 2011
This review is from: Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money (Paperback)
Other than the crooks who run Wall Street yet never seem to go to jail (Hello GS!), not many of us are doing too well these days. Tips on how to save money become more useful daily, so a book with 250 of them must be worth its weight in gold, right? (Well, maybe silver now, gold costs almost as much as gas these days.)

Yes...and no. Let me play Clark Howard for a second, and let's talk about how to save money on Clark Howard's book. It's really very simple. As good as this book is for those who are rather new to cutting the fat from their spending, you can easily pull out your cash knife and cut away the purchase price of this book by...going to CH's website. It's that simple, really. Almost everything in this book is on there...for free!

Now why didn't Clark tell us that? Well, can't save EVERY penny, now can we? (He does hype the website more than occasionally, but doesn't suggest it as a reasonable alternative to buying his book. Hard to blame him, though. Frankly, I think he'd agree with this review, if only on principle.) Just go to his site, which this one won't let me link to, but use his name and that com thing and there you go. Now head to "Greatest Hits", and shazam! Much of the best stuff in this book is there for you, laid out by title on one page. LOTS of good tips there, and you can be reading them in less than five seconds from now.

How's that for saving you money?

But if you know someone who wastes a lot of cash on stupid frivolous things, or doesn't know how to trim their expenses, then this might be a fine gift. It's a good, useful, decently written book, and while not offering much new for long-time frugal folks, it will help out the many people who haven't learned how to stop spending money and how to start saving it.

The key seems to be: THINK BEFORE YOU SPEND!
And on that note, isn't there a website you'd like to check out?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 4, 2011 6:45:36 PM PDT
gailfrances says:
Clark Howard was on Hannity the other day and specifically said for those that want his book but don't have money to purchase it, they should just wait a few months for it to show up at the public libraries. I was surprised he suggested that and so was Sean. He questioned him as to why he would purposely hurt his sales by that suggestion but Howard didn't sound like he was trying to become rich on his book. I think he genuinely wants to help people where he can. He's already got plenty of money anyway...according to what Sean said in the interview. If he's that frugal then it would make sense he has at least a few bucks stashed away. Right? In fact, Howard said he had this book printed in paperback only and printed on the cheapest paper he could find. That interview was the first time I've ever heard the name Clark Howard. Not surprisingly, I am taking his suggestion and ordering this book at my local library and I will be first on the list to check it out when it arrives.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 7:01:10 AM PDT
Wonderfrul review! Thank you for the smile you gave me this am. I am terrible about money when it comes to books. You know, I buy books and if anything is left over, I buy food and clothes. I will be buying the book!

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 10:52:52 PM PDT
K. Swanson says:
Gail, that's good news, and it's what I was hoping he would say. The main thing is that everybody learn how to be smarter. Clark seems like a truly bright, kind guy. More power to him for sharing so freely.

PTB, thanks and enjoy the book!

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 8:20:27 AM PDT
Busy Mom Jen says:
FYI also, I heard Clark on the radio this morning being interviewed about the fact that he has committed to donate 100% of his proceeds from the book to Habitat for Humanity. He's quite a guy!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 6:44:19 AM PDT
Ah,Desiderius Eramus! I have a book bag with that quote, the other side says my best friend is the person who gives me a book I have not yet read. Abraham Lincoln.

Some books simply have to be bought.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:27:14 PM PST
S. J. Stiers says:
Don't forget, though...a lot of people can't afford internet at home because it's not cheap. And that's assuming that they were able to afford a computer as well. It's so easy to assume that everyone has equal access to technology. It'd be sad if Clark Howard made that assumption as well and didn't share his advice in a good old fashioned book. Plus, even though I've accessed his website, I might like having a book handy, too! Nice to see that his genuine concern for trying to help regular people get financially smart extends to the fact that he points people to the public library as another option.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 5:13:47 AM PDT
D. Hurley says:
Pick up a copy at your local library.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 9:50:45 AM PDT
kuky says:
I agree, now that the book is available at the local library, I borrowed a copy. There is one problem I found with the information on "consider nacked DSL. as many of us are trying to save money on high speed internet. The FCC has delineated certain ares of the US in zones, like AT&T will not pass the "border" and come North to Ellijay, and vice versa.
I called the FCC and other manager groups and they will stand by this fact.......so I cannot get to the other DSL sites regardless how cheaper they are......
hope this will help.

Allen Depta

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 5:42:52 PM PST
SandFlyer says:
I like that review. Before you know it you've racked up $200 on a few books.

Another alternative to reading on the computer is to download it to a kindle (if you want to spend money on a Kindle). Before the Kindle I was spending hundreds of dollars on audiobooks. Now I download e-books for free from Overdrive (through the local library).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

K. Swanson
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Untied States