5.0 out of 5 stars No Exposed Sync Button, November 17, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii Remote Plus - Black (Video Game)
I purchased 3 of these from Best Buy today (Black, White and Blue), hoping to replace my old remotes that did not have the Motionplus built in and were harder to sync. I opened the black one, and it did NOT have the exposed sync button advertised. The packaging looked exactly as it does here, with the Wii U branding on it, but it was just a regular Wii Remote Plus inside. There is no mention of the sync button change on the packaging either. I returned them, but seeing as every review I see online mentions the new sync button change, I hope that if I buy another in the future it will have the change. Perhaps since the packaging makes no mention of the change, they are just filling all the new boxes with Wii Remote Pluses, old and new? It was frustrating, and nobody in the store even knew what I was talking about when I mentioned it.

**UPDATE!**
So it turns out that SOME of the boxes have the old model and SOME have the new ones. The boxes with the NEW model have the letters "USZ" written in small letters on the TOP flap in the upper right-hand corner (you can actually see this if you zoom in on the product image), and the surface of the boxes are glossy, while the boxes with the OLD model have a matte surface and no letters on the top. I found this information in a forum post, went back to the store and found that half of the boxes had USZ, and the other half didn't, so I re-bought the remotes with USZ labels and they DO have the external sync button.

Funny note: It looks like the "external" button is really just a pass-through button on the battery cover to a regular, internal one, so if you took the battery cover and remote sleeve off a new model and put it on an old remote, it would probably allow for "external" syncing on old ones too. Nintendo should sell new battery covers and sleeves so we can use the external sync on old remotes.

That said, great remote! And no worries to anybody who is concerned about accidentally hitting the external sync button: it's sunken in such that you can't even press it without something thin like a pen tip.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 17, 2013 9:45:19 AM PDT
What does Amazon.com have to do with the remotes you bought at Best Buy? Don't get me wrong, you provided some handy information, but complaining about Best Buy sort of muddies the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2013 3:26:40 PM PDT
I think he was just trying to be helpful as you can see by his credentials on the side it says "Top Viewer Ranking"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 9:19:16 AM PDT
I have no doubt he was intending to be helpful but from my perspective the whole Best Buy thing just isn't relevant and perhaps even a little confusing.

As far as the "Top Reviewer Ranking", everyone has that next to their credentials. For example, my reviewer rank is 26,607 and his is 124,412. My rank is higher but that doesn't mean I'm any better or worse than he is, I've just written more reviews and gotten more votes for being helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 12:01:40 PM PDT
Lunatic says:
My post was an attempt to explain that there are multiple variations of this product, and there is no indication in the product description as to which you will get. So if you, like me, want the latest model, you should be careful and look at the packaging of your purchase before you open it.

Also, if you'll note, the first picture of this remote (the black one out of the sleeve) does NOT appear to have the exposed sync button, so the pictures are inconsistent and from several different versions of the product. Some people might not notice this, and while many may not care, I'm sure there are some out there (like me) that would.

I wasn't trying to be confusing, just informative, and you'll see at the end of my review that I actually do say what I think about it (with my rating reflecting as such). Wii Remotes have been around for 9 years, and the Wii's success means that many people have probably tried them by now. I posted new information relevant to the latest variation of the product and my experience in purchasing one, so if you want a review on Wii Remotes in general, I'm sure you can find one from 2006 that's more informative.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 2:21:20 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 9:47:56 PM PDT
Lunatic says:
Ah, ok... Well the point of me mentioning Best Buy was just to point out that my situation did not occur when purchasing through Amazon, since I didn't know if the same experience could be repeated here. After the Best Buy mention the rest of the first paragraph or so was just to express my difficulty with getting the right product, and the fact that it is not clearly advertised, which is a warning to future customers. I am sorry it is a bit long; I tried making it as succinct as possible, but it was difficult to express my frustration and situation without the story. I'm glad I could provide some useful information though, if a bit long.

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 5:19:38 AM PDT
Barbara says:
Gina...Linuatic mentioned Best Buy "ONCE". His review is about the product not the merchant. I think that is obvious. I was not a bit confused! I've read tons of reviews of products that people bought elsewhere. I look and read reviews to figure out if I should buy a product or not. WHERE I buy an item usually matters to me only for "price" and customer service, not for how the product works. I appreciated Lunatic's review. And actually him telling us he bought it at Best Buy and then telling us that the sales people had no clue what he was talking about....gave me a heads up that they don't know their products very well. It was a well rounded review in my opinion.

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 3:28:31 PM PDT
W. Walint says:
Who cares where the sync button is?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2013 10:08:30 PM PDT
barleyguy says:
Agreed. You only have to sync once, ever, per controller, unless you get a new console. I've had a Wii since launch day and the controllers never lost sync that I can remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2013 7:51:44 AM PST
J. Volner says:
It's easier if you have more than one system, borrow one to a friend, or take it to a friends to play. It's nice to have when you need it, and if you have a choice, why not?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (854 customer reviews)

$42.99