Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BOOK YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!, July 7, 2007
This review is from: The Period Book: Everything You Don't Want to Ask (But Need to Know) (Paperback)
I felt SO misled by the positive reviews already posted here that I thought appropriate to warn mothers of young girls or "tweens". This book is NOT the book you are looking for. Find the American Girl book on this subject and you will be so impressed and pleased with the beautiful way it handles this subject. Your little girls will become so confident and feel secure about the changes, rather than worried and confused by the inappropriate material that is in this book.

For instance, this book tells you that you can get pregnant if sperm is on a finger and it is put "inside of you". This is absolutely ridiculous in a book they are recommending to nine year olds to learn about growing up, emotions, body changes and starting menstruation! (As if getting pregnant is the only troublesome aspect if someone is "placing a finger with sperm" in them at their ages?)
The title of this book, "The Period Book", is SO misleading, and would cause many to believe it is a book for young girls learning about the changes coming to their bodies and why they happen. It is not, and the material in this book would be more for older teenagers or young women who have made the choice to have sexual intercourse, wants birth control, etc. Read it, word for word before handing it to your young daughters! This book should be called the Sexual Intercourse book as covers that topic far more than "periods".
ThIS author has written supernatural and horoscope books before, and other odd titles and how does that even qualify her to write about such a topic regarding OUR kids and a company like Amazon to even carry it? She actually states she is qualified because she has a 14 year old niece?! Give me a break! This book also goes on into how to position legs and behave for an OBGyn, getting birth control pills, etc. Why do some of you hand your daughter's over so freely like that just because someone wrote a book?
If you want a book that will make your daughter feel beautiful, confident, in control of her body and what happens to it, and proud to be growing up, look at the American Girl book here on Amazon.
I literally threw this "period" book in the trash. You will too.
To the author of this book:
SHAME ON YOU for using clever illustrations, a misleading title, and presentation on such a poorly written, completely off the mark book for young girls. You are taking financial advantage of moms looking for that special book about growing up for sharing with their young daughters.for sharing with their young daughters.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 45 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 5, 2008 1:15:21 PM PST
Wendy R. says:
Thank you very much for your review. While I don't necessarily disagree with some of the things you mentioned in the book, I do feel that it is not the level that my 10 year old needs to read about. I may consider this book for her in a few years, but for now, I want to focus on the changes HER body is going through. There's time enough to learn about the opposite gender.

Posted on Jan 14, 2009 6:59:03 AM PST
J. Locke says:
Thank you! I have two daughters and have bought the American Girl book. It is fantastic and deals with EVERYTHING about their bodies changing, not just the period aspect. I am looking for a book that goes the next step to discuss pregnancy though.

Posted on Jan 15, 2009 1:10:11 PM PST
AmazonFan says:

Posted on Mar 1, 2009 6:26:58 PM PST
SandyCB says:
Thanks for the great review! I don't think wanting a basic book for an elementary school student is in any way an indication of being unrealistic or naive. How confusing to throw everything at them at once -- one step at a time, please. The hard thing is how these books are hyped -- they are promoted as being a first book, or an introduction, but they go far beyond this. Politically I am liberal, not conservative, but I don't see anything wrong with explaining menstruation before talking about sexual activity, especially with an age group (8 - 10 year olds) that -- hopefully-- is not even close to dating yet.

Posted on Apr 2, 2009 11:23:11 AM PDT
Though I respect your opinion, one point of fact -- I did not find any such odd topic books by this author. Her other titles seem to be fact-based books for and about teens (driving, American Indians, teen fathers, etc.). Where are these other books that disqualify her from writing for young girls?
That said, I would encourage parents to read WITH their children, possibly some of the book is worthwhile but other topics may be of the "when you're older, we'll read that" variety.
My daughter has read the American Girl book and when she's a young teen, this may be a book worth looking into.

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 2:08:20 PM PDT
S. Clark says:
Thank you so much for letting us know what is in the book! I'm not buying this book, but I will check and see how the American Girl book is. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2009 9:12:23 PM PDT
P. Oliver says:
Lynn, your confidence is not attractive and it is an insult to the author of this original post (MJ). You first admit that your kids are likely not even listening to you (when discussing sexual content) and then you "guarantee" that your precious bundles aren't at risk... ("I guarantee...none of them will get knocked up..." knocked up? seriously?
Anyway, I hope you are right. I too wish for that and I will be scouring the book in question (which I just grabbed from a thrift store) in order to sensor- EEK -yes, I said sensor the information that is appropriate for my daughter and her situation. Good luck.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 8:42:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2010 8:48:50 PM PST
JessieMomma says:
THANK YOU! I als have a "tween" daughter and while we talk pretty openly about the changes of puberty, I was looking for something she and I could read over and discuss. A good (read: well-written, age appropriate) book is a great way for your kids to get comfortable with opening a dialogue with you at their leisure. It can make or break the foundation of communication in the later years. I trully appreciate authors who are concerned with helping parents AND children learn at an appropriate pace... not just looking to write for profit. Too many women don't even understand the mechanics of their own fertility let alone how to expain it to a curious, nervous, very embarrassed pre-teen. I suggest mothers research their own fertility and then find a book that rings true to them. I will be purchasing Toni Weschler's "Cycle Savvy" (she wrote "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" also) for my daughters and thanks to this review I will steer clear of the author of this posted book. MJ, my daughters and I all thank you!!!!

Posted on Mar 29, 2010 12:54:34 PM PDT
Thank you for your frank post on this book. Sperm on finger ? :o(

This book should be for older girls.

Thank you again for the warning - a very good review.

Posted on May 26, 2010 10:56:32 AM PDT
M. King says:
thank you so much!! i am looking for a book for my eight year old, because my sister got her first period at 9, and her daughter started earlier than me as well. thank you for being specific, also.