3.0 out of 5 stars light weight but lots of plastic, June 3, 2011
This review is from: Brill 78366 Razorcut 33 13-Inch Reel Push Lawn Mower (Lawn & Patio)
This is my first Reel mower that I've purchased. I moved into a house with a very small yard on a steep hill in Portland. I have limited storage space and I was looking for a compact mower that I could store in a closet on the deck. I decided I would try a Reel mower.
I one of the neighbors reels mowers that they no longer use. It was ~ 12 year old Sears Reel mower. It was rusty the blades were dull but with some effort I was able to cut the grass. One thing I noticed on the old mower was how heavy it was on the steep hill. I started looking on the internet and came across the Brill. I liked that it was light weight and the blades would not need to be sharpened very often.

After I got the mower it was light weight and cut the grass well. There are some things I believe can be improved on this product.
1) The mower is light weight because it is made with a lot of plastic versus metal. Being on a hill, the mower probably gets more lateral forces across the unit than if I was on a "flat" lawn. I`ve had the mower for about a month and the top hosing section has broken where the two screws in the back of the popped out of the plastic. This top housing appears to be a Protective piece to avoid the possibility of sticking your hand in the blades when operating. The top housing has not come all the way off yet and is still attached in the front. I would be willing to sacrifice a little on weight for a sturdier mower.
2) The settings allow you to adjust the cut height form 1" to 2". I have fescue grass in the yard and even at the highest setting of 2 the grass appears to short. If Brill could adjust the range to go up to 3" I think would be better for my fescue.
3) To adjust the mowing height you use plastic hand knobs on each side of the housing. These knobs can come loose when mowing and one side of the mower inevitably ends up lower than the original setting. I now tighten down the mowing height knobs at the beginning and half way through cutting the yard. This has eliminated the problem.

Over all I have mixed feeling about this mower. I met the criteria I was originally looking for, light weight and compact. It's not as solid as I would have liked. I doubt I'll get many seasons out of this mower.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]