4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch for the Price!, May 28, 2014
This review is from: Calories Counter Fitness Pulse Heart Rate Monitor Sport Watch Stopwatch (Sports)
I typically don't use watches, but while commercial fishing there are exact times to start and stop fishing. You have to have a way to tell time on the boat. A watch is the most convenient way. I needed a watch that was affordable, decent in quality, and was durable. This one caught my eye because it also had a calorie counter and heart rate monitor. Interesting, right? And for about $15.00- why shouldn't I snatch it up? So I bought it.

Let me start with the few downfalls of my watch- and I'll end on the pros. My particular watch only reads military time. This is fine for me- I was raised a military brat. But I'm not sure everyone would enjoy it. The directions tell how to move from AM to PM time- so I'm assuming some of these watches are made with just a 1 through 12 option for time. But, this watch featured the 1 through 24 hours, and I can't find a way to change that- nor do the directions say how to.

The other downfall, as mentioned by the other reviewer, is that there is no light. So you can't see the time in dim lighting or the dark. For some reason I really thought this watch had a light, so I was really bummed when I removed it from the package and realized other wise.

Those are the only two negatives I can find. Now onto all the positives!

This watch is DURABLE. Commercial fishing is no mediocre feat. I've busted a lot of typical watches, while commercial fishing. They break, come undone, have odd knobs that get caught on the netting (such a pain and not safe at all). This watch works great in every way. It's very sleek design never gets caught on things. It doesn't snag on the rain jackets I wear. It seems waterproof. It's been out in the rain and dunked in water. It's never stopped working. It's not advertised as waterproof, but it's taken some light drenching and is still working fine for me. It's been banged around and knocked into quite a few things- and is still holding up well. Telling time as good as ever.

As for the modes on this watch- I love them. There is the stereotypical time and date mode. Both the time and date show on the same front screen. When you originally program the watch you can also activate your age and weight- which will help with the other modes of the watch's accuracy. There is a timer- which works great for our drift-netting of fish. We like to drift for around 45 minutes. With the timer we know exactly how long the net has been in the water, and can also time our efficiency of pulling the net out of the water.

There is also a heart rate monitor and a calorie counter. The heart rate monitor can be used any time. It's very easy. You basically click mode three times until you're on the monitor mode. Then you hold the set button down for 2 seconds to let the watch know you're ready. The watch will beep and tell you to put your finger on the sensor (located on the right top corner of the watch). After about three seconds it will flash a number- which is your heart rate. Convenient and fun to use. The calorie counter can only be used when exercising. You start the calorie counter as you begin to exercise. It calculates the length of time you exercise and when you're finished- it takes your heart rate (the same way the monitor does). Then it calculates your heart rate and length of exercise to estimate the calories you've burned. I always find this to be really interesting when I'm doing daily activities (I'm not really an 'exerciser). But it's interesting to see how many calories I put into gardening, walking the dogs, bringing in firewood, and other daily things.

The watch itself is very comfortable to wear. It's a little big for me- a female. But it'd be great for most males. Definitely big enough to fit around most men's wrists. The material is really comfortable. It doesn't absorb sweat or water so it never feels 'wet'. It has a plastic sort of make-up so it doesn't get dirty and is easy to wash if you spill something on it. It's movable, so you can flex your wrist without feeling confined by a watch. All in all I really love it. I'm happy I got it- and recommend it as an affordable watch for anyone who is also looking for a motivation to get active (the calorie counter really does bring awareness of your activity level!).

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]