Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus vs Kindle Fire vs B&N Nook, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus 16GB (Dual Core, Universal Remote, WiFi) (Personal Computers)
I've been using 10" tablets and 3.5"-4.5" smartphones for the last 18 months. That included iOS and Android OS spread over 6 different devices. But what I was looking for was a compromise between the large, heavy tablets and tiny phones. So I spent the last couple months debating the offerings in the 7" market.

B&N Nook is rootable and has a good rep in the geek community, but out of the box it lacks too many features (1GB usable storage for non-B&N content and lacking B&N content).

Kindle Fire almost seduced me, but I canceled my pre-order when I considered the specs. No camera for video chatting, only 8GB storage memory, a funky flipboard-like interface and a limited app store. It's good for beginners and budget conscience, but woefully underpowered for a 10" veteran tablet user.

So I opted for the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. For an extra $200 (over the Kindle Fire), I get two cameras, double the internal memory, a microSD card to add more video content, a working GPS for the car, and a fancy smart remote.

The build quality feels secure. Not "plasticky" but not unnecessarily heavy either (i.e. no hard chrome backing of the iPad or Asus Transformer). The toughest part of this tablet is the screen. I've used it a week without any case or screen protector and it has not so much as a scratch.

So far I'm content with my purchase. Touchwiz seems to work better on my Galaxy SII phone, but it's not horrible. Honeycomb's most annoying feature to me is the always-on menu at the bottom. Adding the screen capture button just guarantees you take lots of unwanted pics. Ice Cream Sandwidth should do away with this problem, as least while watching video.

One thing I really appreciate about the 7.0 Tab is how well it retains a charge while in sleep mode. It is comparable to my iPad, able to live off the charger all day and only burn the power I need for use. And that's with GPS on. I wish my Transformer and Galaxy SII did as well.

This is a device perfect for someone wants the tablet experience without having to invest in a massive purse or backpack. it does all the Kidnle and Nook do, but with full fledged Android Honeycomb features.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2011 10:03:26 AM PST
Mike E. says:
with regards to the screen capture/quick launch button: In the settings - screen section, it will let you set the quick launch function other than the "capture button". You can make it as a search button, camera or an app button. If you are not seeing it there then you have to update your firmware via Kies to the latest version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 2:27:06 PM PST
JenKoko says:
Where did you find this feature? I don't seem to have it. My firmware is up to date, but I get no options for "quick launch" buttons in the Screen Settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 2:44:35 PM PST
Mike E. says:
Settings - screen - quick launch. But you have to update your firmware to latest version through Kies via PC not via software update in "about device".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 4:52:52 PM PST
JenKoko says:
I did. Kies said I had the latest firmware. What firmware version are you showing?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 7:16:09 PM PST
Mike E. says:
On your Kies software on your PC, it should show something like this: Latest firmware version: PDA:KK3 / CSC:KK3 (XAR)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 8:37:13 PM PST
JenKoko says:
Nope. It reads my device as GT-P6210 and says it does not support a firmware upgrade. It reads the firmware as P6210OUEKJC/P6210XARKJC/P6210OUEKJC. This is the WiFi version I bought from Amazon. Are you using a different device?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 6:14:11 AM PST
Mike E. says:
I'm using the same device. Got it from Amazon as well. Please head over to XDA so we can try to solve this from there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›