1,019 of 1,296 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Salt water Bath, April 9, 2012
Have had this case for almost 4 months, when I purchased with my I-phone 4s and had been fairly happy with it. When I first got my case I did the water test before installing and even dropped in sink full of water to show wife it works. I cleaned the case about a month and half ago according to the company's standard care procedures on their website. This weekend while kayak fishing, I took an accidental swim into the marsh with my phone in pocket. Once I gathered everything back up and re-situated myself in my kayak I took my phone out and realized it is still working, however, 10 minutes later I checked again, and water had gotten past the case and the phone was no longer working. Once back onshore I did an inspection and saw that the leak path was through the seal on the charger port (slight hairline crack). I use my phone normally and do not do anything drastic with it, so am fairly disappointed with the overall durability. I am out $80 on case and $169 to cover insurance deductible from Verizon.

I am not trying to get back any money, and I realize that I am just out of luck since company is not responsible for damaged electronics. Just wanted to get the word out to people. Most of the 5 star reviews I read were from new purchases.

Buy a cheaper case next time and bring a water proof container to bring your valuables in.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2012 6:41:11 AM PDT
Same here, 3 week old Iphone 4s got wet with lifeproof case, phone is damaged and cost me 200 to replace!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 11:39:54 AM PDT
blacktip says:
They are now saying that if you take a short test online and register your case then they give you a 365 day warranty on the phone that it is protecting.....I don't know how useful this warranty is, but it's there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 5:06:02 PM PDT
try to make a claim with this company its awful. second buy a otter box, my kids have broken all types of otter boxes, and yet they send one out two day shipping, i waited a week for my new lifeproof box only to find out i must send them the old one first which i have no problem with but for $80 i have jumped thu flaming hoops to get a new one and it was a crack in the rubber nothing i did the case is great for a month then crap the company is awful to deal with i now have a phone with no case will be buying a new otter box

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 2:32:34 PM PDT
Some of the vendors on here and on Ebay are selling what they say are LifeProof cases. I got a defective case from here. I called Life Proof and they gave me a 20% discount. I sent the one I got on here back. The one from Life Proof - the real case - works fantastic!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 12:26:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 12:27:36 PM PDT
My Otterbox came defective out of the package. After three days of back-and-forth emails and conflicting responses from them, they ended up saying I should just send it back because they can't send me a new case.

Every company has their problems, and in all likelihood, Mcduffie's experience with Lifeproof and mine with Otterbox are probably fairly rare.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 9:30:34 AM PDT
Larry says:
I agree with one of the responding reviewers, if you're going to be playing in water get a water proof container. I look to the military style cases for protection from drops and knocks, and some rain. You really can't trust all claims made by the manufacturers.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 5:05:20 PM PDT
I was on the waiting list to buy from their site, I got two, one for me and one for my wife. I did the water test and no problems. I also notice the hair line crack in the port, I think this comes from the car charger not fitting like the home charger. My case leaked in Crystal River Fl. I was disappointed that Lifeproof did not offer and exchange for the people who was the first to buy it, they told me my warranty was up and could give me 15% off a new one. I used rice and Damp rid to dry the phone and it is working but sucks that it leaked in the first place. I was never offered a warranty for my case but they are doing a year warranty now. I think the case is good, but be sure to test the case before you do take your phone in the water. Even if you did it months prior.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 5:48:50 PM PST
Doug says:
pelican case

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:56:06 AM PST
J. eveland says:
My case cracked the first time I dropped it. The "plug cover" is super weak. It didn't even last one drop. So much for being "lifeproof."

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:03:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 10:11:37 PM PST
dee p. says:
Just FYI-squaretrade.com has much cheaper warranties than Verizon. $99 for 2 years with a $50 deductible. I've used warranties I've gotten through them twice now and they are fantastic-very quick and did not have any problem paying out the original price of my camera(dropped it) and my sirrius(stopped working). They warranty many things-tv, computers, cameras, phone, appliances-whatever. If you sign up with email, they send discount coupon codes fairly regularly-just got my iphone warranty for $89 because of a discount code. Can't beat 'em!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›