161 of 169 people found the following review helpful
Excellent compact DSLR!,
This review is from: Sony a55 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm zoom lens (Electronics)
This camera is probably the best compact DSLR in its segment right now. Here's my summary:
1. Extremely fast and accurate AF. It's as good and sometimes better than my Nikon D90!
2. Image quality from ISO 100-800 is good as my Nikon D90 and is as good or superior to anything near or in its segment! Images above ISO 800 are still very decent and competitive with anything with its class.
3. Images from the kit lens are sharp and vibrant.
4. EVF is accurate, detailed, and provides all the info. you need
5. Excellent quality HD (1080i) video.....better than most DSLR's in its class. Low light capability is excellent.
6. Best Live View of any DSLR around....w/very fast AF.
7. Excellent tilting LCD screen....vibrant and hi-res.
8. Light and compact body.....easy to travel with.
9. Tremendous value.....beats anything in its class (best bang-for-buck)
10. Received dpreview.com's coveted Gold Star award!
1. Relatively short battery life
2. HD video limited to 9 min. with Steady Shot on (but 29 min. with it off). 3rd-party lenses with lens OIS may be a work-around.
3. Limited manual controls with video.
4. Camera might be too small for users with big hands (be sure to handle it in person if possible)
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2010 8:36:08 PM PDT
Donald R. Poteet says:
Does it have a remote shutter available for the bulb setting? If not can you give me your opinion of a camera with bulb setting but no remote shutter release?
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2010 1:43:31 PM PDT
J. Donaldson says:
It does have a remote shutter capability with an optional add on. Here is an example: Aputure Pro Coworker Wireless Remote, RF Radio Shutter Release for Sony A100, A200, A300, A500, A550, A560, A580, A700, A850, A900, SLT-A33, A35, A55, A57, A77, Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, 7D, Replaces RCC-S1
That one is supposed to also do time lapse photography.
Posted on Oct 26, 2010 7:44:59 AM PDT
I have to agree with you. The autofocus and image quality of this camera is excellent! The HD video has blown me away as well. This is one very nice little camera. I enjoy using it more than my expensive Sony A900!
Posted on Nov 2, 2010 10:40:26 AM PDT
Could this topic as to what is limited/be fully explained?
3. Limited manual controls with video.
Can lens zoom?
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 6:55:31 AM PST
You can most definitely zoom in or out with a lens as long as it is not a prime. You can also set to manual focus if you like or autofocus works fine. I believe the limitation comes in with the aperture. The camera automatically shoots the video with the aperture wide open on the lens you are using and you can not change it or at least I have read this. I have not used the video function enough to test it out though.
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 3:55:52 PM PST
the video mode is completely lacking in exposure control (ie. no shutter controls, limited aperture controls, no ISO control, no white balance control, etc.)
one of the A55's rivals, the canon T2i has all of these controls in its video mode. why would sony leave these out?
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 7:45:11 AM PST
Posted on Dec 3, 2010 1:48:22 PM PST
J. Pasco says:
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 2:03:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2010 2:06:02 PM PST
Do you even know how to use a camera? I have shot two college football games this year boy. check out the sensor ratings here. This camera blasts the Canon T2i out of the water and is only slightly behind the D90 which has a Sony sensor I might add. Go see for yourself.
"We shot side by side with the Sony A55 and a Canon 7D, and felt that the A55's AF performance here was pretty similar to that of the much more expensive Canon."
Now having said all of this do I think you can get great images from a Nikon or a Cannon? Absolutely. Just about any DSLR now will produce some nice images. Jokes on you Canikon fanboy.