5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ultra wide people still don't know about., May 7, 2010
This review is from: Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM ELD SLD Aspherical Super Wide Angle Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
I've owned this lens since February and it is my favorite lens for hiking. Using an ultra wide angle lens is a unique experience that comes with a steeper learning curve then most other ranges. The biggest concept to grasp is scale, at 10mm an object 1 foot from your lens will look like its 5 feet away through the viewfinder, so composition and corner to corner attention to detail is crucial to getting a good image.

Distortion at its widest is reasonable and expected.

It is incredibly sharp in center to mid frame wide open, but it can get a little soft on the edges. I own the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS USM II , so I know what sharp looks like and I have no gripes with this sigma.

Focus is quick and the rings have just the right amount of tension allowing for precise setting. Try laying on the ground and have a friend jump over you, ultra wide angle lens have incredibly large depths of field and it's hard for this lens to miss focus. Also the minimum focusing distance is inches from the front element, so watch those cactus needle in the desert.

The color reproduction is wonderful, and flare is controlled very well by design. The hood is ample, although when shooting wide the sun always seems to find its way into frame.

Chromatic Aberration can occur towards the sides of the frames, but due to the previously mentioned scaling effect, you would have to crop into the image to notice it.

The case is great, although I never knew how awkward working a cube into my camera bag would be. I eventually started leaving the case at home as it just took up to much room in my bag.

Ultimately I do not regret this purchase one bit. Compared to other ultra wides, I couldn't tell you, all I can tell you as this is my go to lens when I'm feeling creative and it hasn't let me down yet. I'll post sample pics to illustrate my points.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2010 8:23:36 PM PDT
Hi,
do you really get 104 Wide Angle on a crop camera, such as Canon 7D? I don't get it with Canon 16-35 2.8 L USM II.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 4:06:24 PM PDT
Yes it does. Remember 16mm is really 25.6mm on a crop sensor body like the 7D. 10mm is 16mm so you get the ultra wide experience. You would need to mount that 16-35mm on a full frame camera like the 5d mark II in order to get a true 16mm field of view.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 4:23:31 PM PDT
A. Dayen says:
I just tested. Focus is too soft. OK for video, unacceptable for stills. Same goes for vignetting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 4:50:32 PM PDT
I honestly haven't noticed significant vignetting issues, outside of normal expectation in this range. I shoot raw so I can do correction in PS if it were a problem but I haven't had to do this even for larger (8x12) prints. I do know that if the hood isn't attached correctly it will show in the corners at 10mm. Are you judging sharpness at f3.5? How close to your subject are you focusing? Are you auto or manual focusing? What shutter speeds were you working with? I only ask so that future buyers are aware of all facts so that they can make an informed purchasing decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 4:52:58 PM PDT
160 shutter/400ISO/F3.5/10 feet away
hood was on
tested lens for 30 mins and returned.
3.5 is slow anyway

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 5:26:56 PM PDT
I'm not contradicting your opinion in any way, just throwing out some things to consider for anyone else reading this. Below is my experience and opinion only:

Ultra wide angle lenses do not shoot "standard" pictures well. They will stretch and distort at the edge of the frame and make your subject seem much farther away then it actually is just given the incredibly large viewing area. if you were to stand 100 feet from the shore of a very large lake next to a beautiful mountain, 95% of the pictures you take at 10mm will look horrible. The lake will appear flat and small and the mountain most likely appear bland depending on the amount of sky left in the frame. The trick with ultra wides is to never shoot level, meaning always tilt it slightly up or down to give perspective. Also, you're going to have to close that 100 foot gap from the shores edge to give yourself more compositional opportunities. Shooting with ultra wides are about getting as close to the subject as you can and really paying attention to EVERYTHING that is being included in the frame that will be a distraction from your subject.

If using for say a wedding, I have captured many successful reception crowd shots using the ideas presented above. At f3.5 in a dimly lit room I was working at an ISO range of 1000 @ 1/100th shutter with flash / 3200 @ 1/25th without flash. While a good noise reduction software will be neccessary at these ISO levels, the bride and groom were very happy with the results. (Keep in mind I had a 24-70mm f2.8 as a second [primary] lens.)

Basically what I'm getting at is that I made 2 runs to Borrego Springs before I even started comprehending what made a good wide angle shot work. Give it time and play around with the lens before making up your mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 5:40:33 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 5:51:19 PM PDT
unless your subject loves the fat face large nose look, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 6:22:52 PM PDT
A. Dayen says:
Than fish eye would do. Have you used new canon 100mm Hybrid and new Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 OS HSM ?

Also trying to compare in my head (the only way so far) new Sigma 7-200 vs Canon 70-200mm

my fav of all times is Sigma EX HSM 30mm!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2010 6:51:40 PM PDT
No, I'm pretty settled in my kit. I have been looking at that 100mm f2.8l though. From what I gather it's "Prime" sharp with an amazing minimum focusing distance. The trade off is that the aperature is not nearly as big as most primes, but when close focusing your depth of field is painfully thin as is. As I have the 70-200mm f2.8 mark II, I haven't looked into the Sigma version, I can tell you though that the canon version is an amazing lens that is always with me, even though it is large and heavy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›