1.0 out of 5 stars Awkward to play with, December 16, 2005
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Chatter Telephone (Toy)
I was excited when I first bought this toy for my little one, because I had one when I was a child. I'll say one thing about it, it's cute and it looks like the old one, and it's durable. Most Fisher Price toys can withstand alot of abuse. But it's not as playable as the old one.

First of all, the original was made of wood of course, and this one is plastic, but no problem with that, just thought I would mention that to anyone who thought it was exactly like the old one.

The reason it's awkward for children to play with is because the reciever cord is very very short. The child will practically have to hold the whole phone up to his ear.

Whoever said that their child had the coiled cord wrapped around their neck was either lying trying for a lawsuit, or they had an actual older version. There is no way the coiled cord is going to wrap around anyone's neck unless it was a Barbie doll's neck. I'm assuming they shortened it for safety reasons. Okay, I understand that, but they left the pull cord long on it. A child could strangle themselves with the pull cord just as well as they could the reciever cord if it was long enough. So why shorten one for safety reasons but leave the other long? That is just stupid. My 1 year old won't play with this, because he won't pick up the whole phone to put the reciever to his ear. He gets frustrated with it. So really the only purpose it served was to bring back a childhood memory for me. I will probably wind up cutting the stupid 3 inch cord off of the darn thing so my baby can hold the reciever the right way.

So I only recommend this for someone who likes replicas of their childhood toys, or for someone who just likes cute toys to display on a shelf in their child's room. But I don't recommend it as a toy to play with.

[Add comment]