1.0 out of 5 stars If I could rate it a negative, I would. Stay AWAY from this thing., August 20, 2010
This review is from: Seagate USB 2.0 External Hard Drive 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive ST310005EXA101-RK - Black (Personal Computers)
This review is for the 1TB product, just so we're clear. Amazon seems to slap them all together ignoring the drive sizes and you can't do that with hard drives. I'm a Seagate man. All my hard drives/externals are Seagate or Hitachi...keep that in mind.

I purchased the drive in June of 2010, it was in it's death bed by August of 2010.
The drive was used with a media box, a hdprimo to be precise, from brite-view. The drive worked fine for about a few weeks and then developed clicking noises.

I performed tests from Seagate (Seatools) and the drive tested fine, so I figured the drive was probably just one of those louder ones which make noises when either going to sleep or waking (despite my better judgment which states "loud clicking hard drives are 90% of the time ready to die" - my view changed because recently I noticed and have had several situations (that other 10%) where loud clicking drives worked fine for years. The tests were passed, but I'd only done short tests.

A few weeks later, the clicking noises became constant and the drive light blinked even when the drive was unplugged from the usb. These drives sleep when unplugged from the USB....it's not a REAL sleep mode though, because the drive has no power switch meaning technically it's always on. Generally though, the green light goes off when the device is no longer getting a usb connection ie: there's no power over the usb cable. So when the HDPrimo is powered down, the drive light goes off.
Not only that but now it would take upwards of 2 to 3 minutes to see the data on the drive from the HDPrimo or the computer.
It got so bad that the media box eventually stopped detecting the Seagate external at all.
I did the tests again and lo and behold, the drive failed the Short Drive Self Test. I used the code and sent the drive for repair/replacement. They sent back a brand new external which a few days later (yes, I said days) is clicking again :/

I may just be unlucky. But it's expensive bad luck. I'm actually out of the US right now and paid upwards of $100 dollars to send the drive back to Seagate and get the new drive cleared through customs. Yes, that is even more than I PAID for it on Amazon.
($30 for shipping using Fedex, $70 for freight/customs back to me). I begged Seagate warranty to send me a different TYPE of external, any kind....as long as it wasn't this and they assured me 100% that these drives are top notch...regardless according to the agent, the drive cannot be switched or swapped for another type.

Well, all I have to say is not s'much Seagate - whatever you're putting into these things SUCK.

You Amazon customers have been warned. Generally I love Seagate but this is a really bad batch of product. I don't know if there are interface issues or if the 1TB drives they put in them are the problem but 2 bad drives in 3 months is enough for me. I have a classic Freeagent with usb2 and esata (the ones with the orange light) and that things been kicking since I got it more than 4 years ago.

P.S I want to note that even if you're in the US or able to send the drive back for 'free' - it's not really free at all; you're looking at shipping costs which are $10-$20 depending on how you do it, normally I use Seagate's Advanced Warranty which is $20 and I'd get the new drive back and a box to put the bad one into to send back with prepaid shipping.
That however cannot be done internationally. If the drive fails on you 4 times in 2 years (and it will, call it a premonition), you've paid for it twice in warranties considering the drive itself is like $80. That's just a quick thinker for you. Seagate will under no circumstances swap the type of drive so you're really not benefiting from the 2 year warranty....unless of course you're one of the very few people who gets one that lives for more than a few months at a time.

Good Luck.

UPDATE:

The replacement unit which was brand new from Seagate has also died. It failed within roughly 5 months of use. I'm now going to have to battle it out with Seagate to replace it with something else because I am NOT getting another one of these.

Please, owners that are having/had had trouble with this? Email Amazon and ask them to stop stocking it. There is definitely something terribly wrong with these things and it's terrible that there are people (who don't read reviews) who are going to buy this drive, backup their data and lose it all.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]