Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden masterpiece, June 16, 2008
This review is from: Limey (DVD)
After watching "The Limey" I was in awe of what I had beheld. This movie was dynamic and mute simultaneously. The genre of this film is a neo-noir, in other words a modern version of those crime/mysteries films made back in the golden days of cinema. These old school movies were black and white, "noir" is French for "black", hence the term film noir.

A thousand apologies for the deviation on my cinema history lesson, I will return to the review at hand. I have to say that I am on the fence with Steve Soderbergh's work. Some of his movies are great; I loved the remake of Solaris in 2002, "Out of Sight" and "Traffic". Consequently, I hated all of the "Ocean" films and "Full Frontal". So I wasn't sure what to except from "The Limey". In the end, I feel Soderbergh hit the nail on the head. The acting, editing, cinematography, acting and story were stellar.

The plot is simplistic; Terence Stamp plays a British ex-con who has traveled to Los Angeles to "investigate" the murder of his estranged daughter Jenny. In the process, he hooks up with some of his daughter's friends (played well by Lesley Ann Warren and Luis Guzman) in order to solve the conundrum of his Jenny's death in a very conspiratorial fashion. Jenny was involved with a ritzy music producer (played smoothly by Peter Fonda), who appears to have his hand in her death.

What I thought was sort of neat about this film is the use of flashbacks. The movie "Poor Cow" was used in order to provide flashback's to Terence Stamp's character. "Poor Cow" featured Stamp at a much younger age and worked well with "The Limey". I don't think I have ever seen this technique used in a movie before. As for the editing, I found it amazing. It might annoy some viewers; it is somewhat non-liner in fashion. The editing sort of displaces some scenes in the continuity of the film and/or foreshadows events. There is also a distressed emphasis of dialogue with the editing. Characters will be in one setting and then switch to another, while the dialogue is still going. There might even be a scene where the dialogue is going and none of the characters are speaking. It reminded me somewhat of the movie "Memento".

I have heard some criticism of Terence Stamp's character in this movie. That he displayed neither emotion nor it didn't seem plausible that he would be that intense about finding who did or didn't kill his daughter. Also it seemed odd that Jenny's friends would aid her father that Jenny herself was never totally copasetic with. I believe the retort to that theory is that both Jenny's friends and father are aiding one and other out of restitution for their lack of involvement in what happened to Jenny. Perhaps, from their perception, they could have done more to prevent Jenny's ominous outcome. As for the end of the movie, I had to sit and really think about it. Perhaps I am being a bit too quixotic, but once I processed and digested this film, I felt very gratified with the conclusion.

I suppose I can understand why someone might not like this movie. It isn't a shoot out revenge film and there isn't non-stop action in it. Nevertheless if one is able to get submerged in the story, they might find that this 90 minute or so movie goes by quickly. I also found the soundtrack amazing and I ordered it as soon as the movie ended. The score was done by Cliff Martinez, who has scored many of Soderbergh's films, including the hypnotic score to Solaris (2002).

My only regret about "The Limey" is that I hadn't seen it sooner.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2008 11:28:55 PM PDT
Hey good buddy! I hope all is well I have not seen the Limey but a big Terence Stamp fan(ZOOOOD) need to see this.
I see you have my MAN on the review prior to this so jumping over bye
Your Bro Clint :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2008 6:01:23 AM PDT
"Come to me, son of Jor-El! Kneel before Zod"! What a classic line. Every time I see this scene I lose it.

I have to say that Terence Stamp is quite that over the top in "The Limey" that he was in "Superman 2". I have a good feeling that you will like this movie.

As for Charlie, he is three steps below god.

Take care bro,

Posted on Jun 19, 2008 4:42:32 AM PDT
I haven't seen this and your review makes me want to see it.Well done !

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2008 6:36:17 AM PDT
An honest reviewer (Colette),

How have you been? Good to hear from you. I am glad you liked the review. This is a good flick, if you end up seeing it, tell me what you think.

Take care,

Posted on Jun 19, 2008 10:59:08 AM PDT
Your enthusiasm for this film is catching; I gotta watch it now! Truthfully, I'd watch any film with Lesley Ann Warren in it (in any role); she has the most unusual facial expressions; very dramatic and beautiful. A fine review, JOSH!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2008 5:34:28 AM PDT
Hello Betty,

This is a great flick!!! I also agree that Lesley Ann is able to perform a role quite well. Two movies I can think of are "Clue" and "Burglar". Good movie and fine acting.

I am glad you liked the review.

Take care,

The Straw Man (Josh)

Posted on Jun 30, 2008 2:39:54 AM PDT
Now I have to see this.Your review is so intriguing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 6:06:01 AM PDT
Thank you for the kind words Colette! :)

‹ Previous 1 Next ›