5.0 out of 5 stars Every Feature You've Wanted in a Compact Camera, March 16, 2010
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V 10.2 MP CMOS 10x Wide-Angle Zoom Digital Camera with Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization and 3.0 Inch LCD (Camera)
I'm usually a digital SLR user, but I've been waiting for a camera like this to come out so I have something to put in my pocket. The features that really made me decide to buy this camera were:

1. AVCHD 1080i FULL QUALITY video. Check the bitrate -- it's the same as the camcorders. Better than the flip or handheld 'HD' bitrates
2. Wide Picture Stitching. I am astounded by the quality of these pictures. Dumbfounded. Check out the ones I've posted.
3. GPS Tagging. Yep- been waiting for this since iPhoto introduced the feature into its software.
4. Low-light performance. For a point-and-shoot, you're not going to beat this. Sure, it's no DSLR, but it's pretty great for the price.
5. Price- a zillion features and a totally reasonable price!!!

Mac Compatibility:
I tried out the camera with iMovie, and it worked seamlessly!!! I imported 2 minutes of low-light video footage AVCHD in about 30 seconds from an SDHC Class-6 card. Also used the camera with iPhoto and Aperture, and everything worked great.

Update: I've had time to play around with the different settings -- you can see some of my results in the customer uploaded images. The panoramas today came out great! I am still awed by this feature (amazon's tiny photos don't do it justice). Shooting inside in the MOMA was excellent. Outside, I tried the HDR mode, with limited success (still need to experiment, but see what I got). The handheld twilight mode does what it is supposed to, impressively.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 37 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2010 8:39:51 PM PDT
Steven Vance says:
You could use Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. It recognizes AVCHD (.m2s or .mts) files natively and edits them without any converting.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2010 11:36:44 AM PDT
Frank B says:
I believe the GPS Assist software works only with Windows. The GPS still works, but is slower to determine position than if there were Assist software for the Mac included.

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 8:40:51 AM PDT
Can you comment on depth of field and also on the panorama feature? I'm wondering if this camera allows for a shallow-depth portrait (blurred background). Also curious as to how good the panorama feature really is. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 11:16:20 AM PDT
Did you do any comparison between the Canon S90 and this Sony? I am in a tough bind and torn between which one to buy. Any suggestions? Picture quality is most important and I like the fact that the Sony has the CMOS, but like the manual control of the S90.

Posted on May 12, 2010 10:53:22 AM PDT
I. Avrunin says:
The Sony Panarama feature looks neat. I have used the Canon Stitch assist to get Panaramas and get some nice printable panarama shots. What kind of prints can you get from the resultant Sony image

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 11:23:57 AM PDT
The resolution of the panorama comes out to be 4912 x 1080, so printing 8"x36" gives you 135dpi, and 4"x18" gives you 270dpi. Both are nice looking prints, though stitching together shots in photoshop will give much higher resolution.

Posted on May 19, 2010 5:41:00 PM PDT
mmc says:
I have a question about the self-timer on the DSC-HX5V. I have a Sony DSC-N2 point-and-shoot that is a couple of years old. If I want to take multiple pictures using the self-timer, I have to manually select the timer (2 or 10 seconds) prior to each shot - it automatically resets to "off" after each picture is taken. Does the HX5V's self-timer stay on through mulitple shots until it is manually turned off, or do you have to manually turn it on prior to each shot? Thanks.

Posted on May 19, 2010 9:02:48 PM PDT
I. Avrunin says:
Your comments support what I have read, but the only question I have is what type of panarama picture can be printed. What is the resolution of the panarama stitched picture. I have been using canons stitch assist and stitching pictures and can get nice sized pictures because each picture is about 8 Mp. Have you done any printing. I am sure on the monitor and a TV that they are great.
Thanks,

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 11:33:52 PM PDT
J. Miller says:
Have this camera and have many...love this one...however HOW do you shoot in panoramic....Still not sure
Great photos...thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 9:02:31 PM PDT
TGRIN says:
This is great info and I love the shots you included. I haven't seen much talk about this camera's ability to capture faces. We have a one year old and want to make sure we can get awesome shots of those we take photos of when we elect to use a P&S vs. our D90.

Review Details