4.0 out of 5 stars Do it again! DO IT AGAIN! *EDIT* ok maybe It's not as good as I thought., November 8, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
I must admit I was a bit worried when Bungie left the scene and Halo's development went to 343 Industries; Good franchise gets bought by massive corporation? We all know what happened with EA games and Mass Effect 3. So yeah, I was worried.

And then this...this...work of art happened. 343 Industries, you've proven I was silly to worry. I play Halo for the campaign, I love the story and I love the epic firefights. I'm not too big into multiplayer, though I did love Invasion in Reach. The campaign was absolutely wonderful. It made me feel like I was playing Halo 1 for the first time again.

Everything is a pro in this game, but I'll give a few standout general pros and a few verrry minor cons:
Standout Pros:
Music
Graphics
The Mantis
The Awesome Ending
Upgraded Forge
Spartan Ops

Cons:
Enemy AI gets a bit stupid at long ranges
I miss the Flood. The new enemy race is awesomely done, but freaking annoying to kill.
The weapon list is too small, and is split into types that are often essentially the same with minor variations. I don't understand why we need the battle rifle, DMR, magnum, carbine, and light rifle. I also miss the needle rifle.
Not enough Covenant vehicles, no human air vehicle.
I was one of the people that LIKED armor lock. Sad to see it go.
Banshees are slow again.
I WANT INFERNO GRENADES BACK.
NO MORE INVASION.

343 Industries, thank you. I've been playing Halo for almost 11 years now. I hope you guys are still this good 11 years from now.

*EDIT*
So, after playing the crap out of the game, I've come to some conclusions: this game is nothing compared to Reach, in every aspect but story and graphics. The problem is that Halo always was meant to have an epic feel, even in 1 v 1 plasma rifle fights. The game FEELS smaller, due to the actual maps being smaller, the ubiquity of long range weaponry(looking at you, DMR/Carbine/Magnum/Light Rifle/Binary Rifle/Sniper rifle/Beam Rifle, and the overall faster pace of combat. Armor Abilities have been nerfed to all hell, to the point that most aren't even useful except situationally, or are even harmful. Anything you can do to edit your loadout aside from weaponry is nigh-pointless, as nothing has a major effect. The problem with that is that Reach gave us highly differentiated player classes based on their awesome abilities, which made for a more varied and more epic fight. Compare, for example, the ridiculously overpowered armor lock to the nigh-pointless hardlight shield. Compare the bubble shield to the regeneration field. Halo 4's AAs are parlor tricks in comparison to those of Reach. And they are less fun. The vehicles and weapons all get similar treatment. the maps are more two-dimensional than Unreal: Tournament(that game from more than a decade ago).

The AI in campaign in 4 is not as smart(or doesn't have the appearance of it). I think the problem here is that the AI is far more limited in its options: what's the point of a well-executed flank maneuver when the map is essentially two side by side rails, and you have access to such a limited range of weaponry?

There are no real "stand out" levels in 4. Halo had The Maw/Two Betrayals, depending on your flavor, Halo 2 had Regret/Great Journey, Halo 3 had The Covenant, ODST was a different animal entirely, and Reach had Long Night of Solace. None of the Halo 4 levels really stood out to me like these did.

This game feels more geared toward those interested in a somewhat realistic combat simulation, WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN HALO. Halo has been about epic Banshee skyjacks at 150 MPH, riding a falcon down from the spire carrying the core, tearing down snipers with magnums, dual-wielding SMGS, ramping warthogs onto Scarabs, or tossing inferno grenades into a mess of Flood. Pecking away at each other's shields and having headshots be the Soup of the Day, Week, Month, and Year is not what I was looking for.

In the end, in my humble opinion, Halo just got hit with CoD syndrome. And I play Halo, not CoD. That being said, the story was wonderful, and in the end it was still worth my money. But it leaves me with a bitter taste in my mouth. If you need me, I'll be playing through the collection again, waiting for a Halo 2 remake or a possibly fixed Halo 5. I give Halo 4 the same longevity as ODST.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 1:00:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 1:03:58 AM PST
Good review but I cant dissagree with you more. The ending was about as anti Halo feeling as possible and downright depressing. ***SPOILER ALERT*** I felt like some sort of sadist wrote this game to torture a beloved character then kill her on screen. Former titles were full of shining hope even in the darkest of times and this game was constantly depressing and tried to humanise and make vulnerable characters that were paragons and not ordinary beings. When MC says he isnt leaving someone behind, he doesnt. When he says he is going to save someone, he does. MC lowers his head, blasts his way through and saves the day with a concotion of 1 parts skill, 1 parts luck and 10 parts odacity. Halo is a franchise that highlights paragonal heroes not ordinary people just doing their best. Even worse is the multiplayer that has turned the game into call of halo instead of halo. I have to say that some things improved a great deal but the new look for spartans looks like something that could have come out of Crysis and the new covenant voices are nerve grating (especialy the grunts who sound like buzzing insects when they talk). Overall this game did not feel like halo at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:47:18 PM PST
What do you mean there's no human aircraft? How about the jet fighter that you flew??? And the pelican???

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:11:27 PM PST
P. Acuña says:
Ansgar

343 said that this is a new trilogy, way more dark than the first one, i havent played my copy yet, but i have read the books, and damn they are sad and shocking, MC is one of those characters that suffered a lot during his training, sometimes he ... just couldnt, he is human after all, other characters on the books are on the same way, humans heroes of war they are, they are humans.

quick tip, reach + halo 1,2,3 are about... in a max 2 year time frame or less.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 11:24:15 PM PST
SlugmanAD says:
If you count the on rails Broadsword, or the downright annoying Pelican(neither of which are available in multiplayer), then you are correct. I don't count those.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 11:30:20 PM PST
SlugmanAD says:
It's not as if rampancy and its effects weren't alluded to throughout the whole series; we knew this was going to happen, and they told the story of it happening well, in my opinion. And maybe darker is a good direction to take the series, especially after they fumbled "being dark" with Reach. I dislike the new skins as well, and nothing for me compares to hearing the elites scream in Halo 1(AHHHHHH!!!! RO'BENAHRT *or whatever they say that is just plain awesome*) or the grunts speaking english in 3(hilarious). I'm with you, calling it CoD clone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (2,380 customer reviews)
 (1,631)