5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Shredder for a GREAT price, August 17, 2011
This review is from: Royal 14 Sheet Micro Cut Shredder (MC14MX) (Office Product)
I looked at several shredders before deciding upon this one. I have had a Royal CIA 12X shredder for the past 10 years. It was a great shredder. Back then it was called a cross cut shredder and puts the current cross cut shredders to shame. It was an ALL metal workings shredder. I called Royal when it quit working and they said to try to repair it first, because it is or was a better shredder than most currently on the market. The new micro cut shredders are similar to the older cross cut shredders when it comes to the shred size.

My older moldel unfortuanatley could not be fixed because the ciruit board is no longer manugactured after ten years. The reason I mention this is because I know Fellowes claims to have better shredders but for the money you can't touch a micro shredder with Fellowes or most other companies for less than $200 to $300 that will shred 14 pieces at a time.

I bought the Royal MC14MX from Sam's club for only $99. The BEST online price I found was about $145 and Royal will sell you this same shredder now over the phone for about $179 plus shipping. I read all of the reviews and especially the ONE negative review here. I have to say that review did not make a lot of sense; who spends $200 for a shredder is disatisfied and won't take it back for a refund?

Here is what I have found. The Royal MC14MX is an EXCELLENT shredder for only $99. You can't come close to getting this QUALITY from other companies. Sure they are now made in China but show me a shredder that isn't. This shredder does not require any oil because of the quality of the metal that is used along with how it is constructed, a huge advantage over Fellowes.

The shredder does have some plastic or nylon guides near the shred teeth which makes this shredder MUCH lighter than my older model. My older shredder bought 10 years ago cost the same amount of money about $100 from Office Max in 2001. I do not believe that the new shredder is equal to the older one in quality because of the plastic used but I don't think it will effect the over all perfomance.

This shredder is MUCH quiter, faster and will do larger amounts of paper than their older model. In fact with my older shredder I had to open up the junk mail credit card offers before inserting them into the machine or it would stop and reverse. With this new machine I can insert the entire envelope without opening. My older machine was rated to handle 12 sheets at a time, it would slow down considerably if I put 12 sheets in at once. The new MC14MX is rated to handle 14 sheets. It handles. It will breeze through 14 sheets very easily. Time will tell if this one will last 10 years.

Over all I am EXTREMELY pleased with this purchase. Yes the shredder does make a clinking sound when it is moved or jiggled but that is because of the way the machine is built.

I would HIGHLY recommend this shredder to anyone. For $99 you can't go wrong. Even if you paid $150 to $175 this machine is well worth the cost.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 27, 2011 9:19:35 AM PDT
Keln says:
I just bought this and the machine jammed while shredding only three pieces of paper at once. Plus, it's incredibly slow compared to other shredders I've purchased over the years. Yes, the very first one I owned was a microcut shredder. This shredder IS very quiet and I do love the very large pull out bin with the window, as well as it sitting on wheels. Just wish it didn't jam on three pieces of paper.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 10:26:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2011 10:27:18 AM PDT
D. Griffeth says:
I've shredded a mountain of paper with this unit. Like "In the Know", I bought mine at Sam's for $100. I have to agree with everything In the Know's written. The machine is EXTREMELY quiet. Keln must be folding his 14 sheets together or it's super thick paper. I just this minute pulled 14 pages out of my printer and shredded them at once - this machine plowed through it like it was nothing. Prior to Keln's comment, I never thought about how many sheets I was shredding. Well worth a $100....

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 3:43:14 PM PDT
OB1 says:
I just purchased this unit at Sam's Club. Mine also jams with 13-14 pieces of regular paper. It actually bogs down with 8 and has even jammed with less. It does not always shred 100%. It leaves mangled clumps, and an occasional long twisted strip down the right side. Maybe this unit is a lemon or the cutters are off. It does not do this all the time, but it does not matter if it is one or eight pieces of paper. Is anyone else noticing the incomplete Shreds?

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 10:58:23 AM PST
NoFear_2008 says:
Can anyone tell me if it shreds credit cards/CDs/DVDs in the same micro-cut size, larger cross-cut size, or in strips?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 2:19:51 PM PST
As I See It says:
NoFear_2008. I dropped a DVD in and it shredded it into the same small micro-cut sizes as the paper. If you were somehow able to re-assemble the pieces, I'm guessing it would take about 20 pieces to make up the size of an average persons thumb nail.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:13:50 PM PST
CHRISTOPHER says:
I just got this shredder today. When I moved it, even slightly, I hear a loud rattling sound, almost like sleigh bells. Does your Royal MC14MX rattle like a bell when you move it? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 10:04:09 PM PST
Lee Lawley says:
Best shredder I have has for years. Credit Cards, CDs, DVDs all get shredded into small bits. Mine just decided to test my repair knowledge and had won over me. Up until today after the item I was shredding completed through the process the motor stopped until I put in the next paper, card etc. However, "now" the motor does not stop. It continues to run and I have to manually turn it off or un-plug it. Has anyone any knowledge about this issue? I would appreciate any help you may offer. Thanks, Lee
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (205 customer reviews)

$269.99 $157.95