3.0 out of 5 stars D-Link MovieNite Plus Streaming Media Player, August 22, 2012
This review is from: D-Link MovieNite Plus Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I selected the D-Link MovieNite Plus for a second TV which is a standard definition (4:3) analog TV. We already have a ROKU box on our Hi-Def in the living room. Since we cut the cable a few years ago and just rely on over-the-air broadcasts, DVDs, and streaming, we thought it would be nice to have the streaming capabilities on another TV.

I ended up having to put this unit in the living room on the HD TV for two main reasons: first, despite switching the resolution setting from "auto" to "NTSC" and checking all the other settings, the D-Link MovieNite Plus will only work in widescreen mode, so on a standard tube TV, the picture is squished in from the sides making everything thinner; second, the antenna for N band wireless on this unit is not as sensitive as the ROKU. It either would not pick up a strong enough signal to load Netflix or access the network, or it freezes or pauses to re-buffer the signal. I do not have this problem with the ROKU in the same location.

Out in the living room, however, the device works fine. The picture is good and the signal strength is stronger. Having the dedicated button for Netflix is a plus, but I miss all the free content that ROKU offers but is not available on the D-Link, such as all the audio/radio options that we could pipe through the sound system. The D-Link does have Pandora, but nowhere near the audio (or video) choices of the ROKU. Another feature that the D-Link has is a connection to "My D-Link", a web site connection that I have D-Link motion sensitive video cameras connected to. Unfortunately for me, with the TV now in the living room near the front door, I have no reason to use this feature like I would if the device was still in the other room.

For my uses, the D-Link MovieNite Plus is a bit of a disappointment. Had I paid for the unit rather than receive it through the Vine program, I would have returned it for the resolution problem alone. The poor signal strength (especially compared to the ROKU) and lack of available content (again compared to the ROKU) just add to the dissatisfaction. Also, no Amazon Video capability or Hulu. If, however, your main use will be Netflix, Vudu (paid HD movie service), You-Tube and/or Pandora, and you have it wired to your network (it has a network connection jack) or in a strong wireless signal area and connected to a HD TV, then this will probably work fine for you. For my needs, I would choose the ROKU.

For my own personal situation and experience, I would give this two stars; but, for the amount of information available on the product page about what this device actually does, I will give it three stars with points taken away for the resolution issue and the poor wireless antenna. ROKU doesn't have the You-tube or the D-Link connectivity and this may be a deal breaker for some of you. Compare this device to the other streaming capable boxes out there before you purchase.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2012 12:04:48 PM PDT
R. E. Smith says:
Does the ROKU solution you use come with any fees beyond purchasing the hardware?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 7:58:16 PM PDT
There are still fees for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon video if you don't have Prime, but there is quite a bit of free content as well -much more than the D-link. A lot of the free content we were using was web-based radio or other audio streaming run through our home theater system. I was even using the NHL network link to check the game scores and stats during hockey season (for free, if you pay you can stream games).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (133 customer reviews)

$99.99 $34.99