Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Great car seat - but two big design flaws, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Graco My Ride 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Coda (Baby Product)
It's very well made with good materials, padding and protection (e.g., head bolster is great). I have two of these Coda models and installed both myself using LATCH. There are two major problems that should be considered relating to rear-facing, but they may not apply to front facing.

PROBLEM 1: In rear facing setup, while kneeling in the carseat to pull the LATCH strap end, it's impossible to pull the strap parallel to the rest of the strap. This makes it really difficult to secure the seat correctly. I did figure out a trick though, if you pull back the upholstery by the seat area, there's a hole where the end of the strap can be pulled through - giving the correct angle of attack for pulling/tightening. Once tightened, the strap can be pulled back out and the upholstery can be put back on.

PROBLEM 2: In rear facing setup, the strap adjustment lever is almost impossible to adjust since it's pressed against the back of the car's seat. There is a fabric hood (that I may just cut off), so lacking a 3rd knuckle on my finger that bends the other way it's very difficult to release the lever. When I do need to adjust it, I use my index and middle finger with my palm facing up and open my fingers to press the lever. I called Graco and they said this is a common issue with most convertible car seats.

It appears it was first designed as front facing then the plastic and metal molds were modified as little as possible (read: as inexpensively as possible) so they can also be sold to customers looking for rear facing too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2012 9:18:30 PM PST
R. Hubbard says:
Helpful review! Can I ask what make/model of car you have it installed in where you run into not being able to get at the strap adjustment lever?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 2:09:17 PM PST
David S says:
A Grand Prix and a Corolla. But the problem isn't specific to those cars, basically every car will have this issue.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 11:50:12 AM PDT
J. Cates says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 11:55:48 AM PDT
David S says:
Nah, I never cut it. But I am counting the days until we can turn the car seat around and safely use it front facing!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 7:39:24 PM PDT
Embassy says:
Just wanting to say in case you haven't heard, the recommendation is to keep children rear facing until they grow out of their convertible, but at the bare minimum rear face until age 2. They will grow out of the myride when there is less than 1" of shell above their head or they hit the 40lb rear face limit. Hopefully this is old news for you :)

Also, one more design flaw. In most cars the myride is incredibly reclined when in the forward facing position.

Thanks for your review!

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 1:11:12 PM PDT
Jim Waid says:
Your problem #1? That's true for every car seat made. Your solution is how everyone should lighten the LATCH straps on ANY car seat. It's not a problem though, it's just physics. There isn't any way to do it differently.

Posted on May 29, 2013 7:46:12 PM PDT
Cassandra says:
The husband and I spent an hour trying to figure out why the carseat was loose and unstable using LATCH. We'd been using a Snugride35 w/ the base before so we hadn't tried using the LATCH system. I hop on here and see your review and your Problem #1 solution is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Posted on May 30, 2013 7:01:13 AM PDT
J. Cates says:
My solution to problem #1 is slightly different than yours. I kneel on the carseat, tighten it as much as I can, and then unbuckle it. I then pull another 1" or so of belt through to tighten it a little more. Then I kneel on it again, get it as close as I can to latching, and then basically bounce down on it to get that last inch covered, and latch it. I used to use your solution, but even then, it's pulling "around a corner", so to speak (up and then through the opening) so I still don't have perfect leverage. The way I do it now, I can't make it budge no matter how hard I try. The installation also seems to go faster for me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›