5.0 out of 5 stars Early review, April 11, 2011
This review is from: LG Infinia 55LW5600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses (2011 Model) (Electronics)
So I've owned this set for two whole days now and I can say WOW, I have 3D in my living room!
I plan on writing a more detailed review as I do more with the TV, but for now:

First up the 3D
It's awesome! Just like in the movies. It leaps out at you. I bought the Canyon DVD and the water bubbles just float in front of you and water splashing made me blink! We also bought Step Up 3D and it was just like seeing it at the movies. The picture is very bright and looks beautiful. If you are concerned that you will not see "full 1080P" because of the technology don't be. I watched that same Canyon DVD in store with the active shutter glasses and saw zero difference in quality.

I played a little bit of Call of Duty Black Ops on my PS3 to see what the gaming side looked like and it seems to only work with the story mode, but woah 3D gaming is wicked. It's like playing a video through a view master.

The 2D picture
Is excellent. We had a 50" Sony LCD 1080i and this picture is far superior. There's a certain realism that comes through. We noticed it first at our local Best Buy store. Some TVs looked as if the content was taken like from live TV and we were pleased to see this TV also producing this type of picture.

As for the 2D to 3D, I tried it on a show being shown in HD and saw no difference. I will experiment more with it now that I see others having success with this feature.

It has a bunch of other goodies like Netflix, YouTube etc. The USB internet "card" (like a thumb drive device) plugs in the back and the TV recognizes it. Going to the Network set up I easily connected to my home's WiFi and had my Netflix account up in a flash. You can go on Youtube, but I saw no way to log in to my account so if you have subscriptions or your videos this is not your best way to check those out. The browser works fine, but doesn't have Flash and I'm not sure if it is or will be supported. The TV comes with two remotes, the smaller works like the Wii controller so you have a mouse-like interface, pretty cool. There are other apps and games, but I have not played with those yet.

Negatives so far
One thing that was disappointing to me is that there is no RCA (Red/White) audio outs from the TV. Just an optical audio out. My surround sound system doesn't have an optical in so I can't use it with the TV.

Also the remote doesn't have separate source buttons to quickly jump from one input to another (Cable to DVD for example). You have to press the one "Input" button which takes you to a screen that lets you choose. One nice touch however is that it seems to sense when you turn something on. For instance, if Im watching Cable TV then I turn the DVD/Blueray player on the TV "sees" this and switches to the new source (DVD player) automatically.

These are my initial (and lengthy) impressions so far. In short, I'm really impressed with the quality picture of this TV and the technology it uses. I'm very relieved that I don't have to use (and buy) heavy, battery operated and expensive glasses to see amazing hi def 3D right in my living room!

[Add comment]