Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the Clarisonic, February 19, 2011
This review is from: ProX by Olay Advanced Cleansing System with Facial Brush (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a regular user of the CLARISONIC Skin Care System 1 ea, so I may be a little biased, but the people who think this is comparable may not have used the other brush.
If you are comparing in cost, it is about 20% comparable for about 15% of the cost.
The motion of the brush head is different- this one rotates and the Clarisonic uses a sonic pulse.
You have to replace the brush heads in both, and the Olay ones are about half the price of the Clarisonic.
With this brush, it seems easy to tear my face up, and with the Clarisonic it seems nearly impossible. I can use my Clarisonic brush on a daily basis, but I don't feel comfortable using this one more than a few times a week if I was using it regularly.
I also found it surprising that they recommend you use it (it actually comes with it) with an abrasive face wash, when my Clarisonic specifically tells you NOT to use it with abrasive cleansers. I'm kind of cringing at the idea of gradually tearing my face up with the abrasive cleanser and the brush.. not a pretty picture! I guess if you don't have sensitive skin and really need some serious exfoliation its OK??
Waterproofing- It has a gasket on the inside that makes it hard to replace the batteries, and over repeated battery replacements you would kill the gasket. The more expensive brand uses inductance to recharge, so it will never get water on the inside. I think this gasket would probably last you a year if you use the brush on a daily basis and replace the batteries regularly. I've been using my other brush for 2 years. Also, I feel I need to mention it was pretty tough for me to figure out how to replace the batteries. They have about a sentence on it, and it doesn't do justice to what a pain it really is, which is why I think this little gasket will actually wear out from the pressure fit.
I Actually think this brush is better to use on my body than my face because its pretty abrasive compared to my Clarisonic. I'm planning to keep it just for that.
All in all, I think you get what you pay for. If you are willing to make an investment and think a brush for your face is something worth springing for, go for the more expensive brand.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2012 1:25:00 AM PST
A. Johnson says:
if its the brush thats too rough i would'nt tell people to buy a $200 exfoliator to get a gentle one .. just use Neutrogena Microdermabrasion Cleaning sytem instead.. that ones about the same price as this one but with a lot gentler pads used on your face... works really good too

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 3:31:14 PM PST
I have to wonder why anyone would use this so much that it would "tear up their face". I have very fair skin and I love the Olay Pro X. As with everything, I am careful not to let it stay in one place on my face too long, choosing to use it in small circles as I constantly move it across my skin. It has done a wonderful job and my skin not only feels exfoliated, but very clean and stimulated. I immediately rinse and use a good moisturizer. I feel my skin has never looked better. So, if you're "tearing up your face", then you are using it incorrectly and are assigning blame to the device instead of yourself. Frankly, I don't want ultrasonic-anything near me. I like the control of the soft brushes - but then, I do it the right way, too.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:35:22 AM PDT
Just because the Clarisonic doesn't want you to use an exfoliating face wash doesn't mean that it is wrong for the Olay. They are two different machines and as such are made for two different types of cleansers. Honestly, using an exfoliator is not going to tear up your face.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 9:25:00 PM PDT
I am the type of person who would rather spent the premium on a better quality product, but after owning my Clarisonic for approx. 1 year the battery completely died and there is no way to replace it. I bought the $200 unit thinking that I was getting something that would last me a long time, but now it is just a paperweight. This is a common problem for the Clarisonic and I don't have $200 to replace it every 1-2 years. The Clarisonic should have a way to replace the battery when it dies, even if the product is three years old. I would love to buy a new one, but even if I purchase from an 'authorized dealer' this time (purchased from Amazon the first time), I don't think $200 is worth it for a maximum warranty of two years. I will be spending $22 on the Olay - might not work as well, but if it breaks in a year I am out substantially less money.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 1:31:21 PM PDT
AxAxon says:
I have tried the Clarisonic and did not find the Olay more abrasive than that. they move differently.

I have had the Olay brush for 9 months now and still on the same batteries. I am surprised about this. Just regular AAs. I use it 4/week. Just wanted to mention that the battery changing is not much of an issue.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:11:04 AM PST
G. Frudakis says:
$22.00 versues $104.00, I think you're math is a little off.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:27:44 PM PST
The exact same thing happened to my Clairsonic after about a year-it would no longer charge & because you cannot replace the battery, in the trash it goes. What a total waste of money!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:56:57 AM PST
T. Burks says:
thank you for this post, the negative post about "tearing up the face" almost had me running out to get a clarsonic. i'll get the olay pro...thanks so much

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:22:21 AM PST
SavvyShopper says:
Whoa! Re-read the other comments posted here, re: the "tearing up your face" issue...I have sensitive skin, and would not use ANYTHING that could damage skin. But more expensive does NOT equate to BETTER. Having searched through all comments/reviews on this and other sites, I am definitely going with the Olay Pro-X. I plan on using a gentle cleanser with the Pro-X, and the Olay product that I presently use (and have used for several years) has gentle micro-dermasion.
Olay has my vote, hands down.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:35:15 PM PST
Myshel says:
Soo glad you posted your experience, I was trying to figure out which I should purchase. Knowing that you often get wat you pay for... I will make the investment in a clairsonic rather than Olay brush.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›