Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Works., November 14, 2012
This review is from: High Sierra Shelby Tote (Sports)
UPDATE: I dragged this bag for a month through Asia. Loaded it with 40 lbs. and squished it under the seat on the plane. Then it got lugged around, kicked, chewed by a puppy and thoroughly abused. I brought it back last week after logging tends of thousands of miles with it and washed it. It looks like new. The four corners at the bottom are intact and it's good to go for another long trip. Great value for money. I've revised this from four to five stars. If it came with the velcro to hold the pockets shut, I would give it ten stars. And those handles were very comfy.

______________________________________________

The bag itself is sturdy and well constructed. It holds a lot and the main compartment opening is wide enough to get a lot in. I have another tote of the same size that can't get my folded peacoat in because the mouth is not designed to be as wide as this one.

It has a few organisational pockets inside and several outside. Love the ability to carry a water bottle or two outside and that the water bottle pocket is not a flimsy piece of mesh and is adaptable to other items that are bulkier (like mitts and scarves) as well.

It's big and will work well as a gym bag and an everyday bag and though I am a petite gal, it looks large, but not too large on me. It's light and soft enough to scrunch into another piece of luggage while travelling.

Cons:
1. What's with the thin handles? They stay on your shoulder only if there are some things in the bag. When the bag is empty, they slide off, especially on a slick fabric like a waterproof coat. They need to be a tad longer to be able to wear comfortably on your shoulder when you have a thick coat on. You can still use them (they have a drop of about 10 inches), but they could also use some padding. I'm not a fan of those handles.

2. The inside pockets cannot be zipped shut and gape open into the bag when you have things in them, taking up space. Plus when I put things like my laptop in, I want to make sure they will not fall out for any reason.

I fixed it and this made it much much better. Cut up some industrial velcro into small pieces and attach it to the small hidden outside pocket, as well as to the inside pockets.

3. I have the bag in the black and the interior lining is a subtly patterened black too. Why can't they have a bright, contrasting interior fabric so that things are easier to see?

4. And no, High Sierra, I don't like your ugly logo in big white lettering. I paid for the bag, now I don't want to be a walking billboard for you.

I paid $20 for it (at another site), which is about right. I like the bag for the price, but I wouldn't pay more.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]