4.0 out of 5 stars Great for gamers with bleeding fast internet, September 30, 2009
This review is from: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem (Personal Computers)
As I understand it, this is a great modem to use if you have a very expensive, extremely high speed internet package. The reason for this is that it has bonded channels technology that enables you to get more bandwidth (at high speeds) than the Motorola Surfboard 5120 or 5101. So if you have the top of the line internet package, and a very fast computer, and if the cable internet in your area supports DOCSIS 3.0, this thing could work screaming fast for you.

I do not have screaming fast internet, although my computer is pretty bleeding fast. I can't afford that kind of cost for a monthly subscription, because it is a constant and forever drain of a lot of money, and I don't earn that much money where I can do that.

I am located in the Phoenix, Arizona area, and have the $40/month Preferred internet package. My downstream bandwidth varies a lot by the time of day, it ranges between 13Mbps all the way up to about 23Mbps when almost everyone else is in bed sleeping.

My upstream bandwidth is capped real low, as with most consumer internet packages, so it hardly varies at all. It's almost always the same, at about 1Mbps.

If you want an accurate test of your internet bandwidth, do not use the main bandwidth testing sites. Their tests are way too short in duration and give you an extremely exaggerated notion of your top speeds. Go to testmy dot net and use the largest size tests they will allow you to.

Before purchasing this modem from an unnamed extremely large local retailer, I had read lots and lots of reviews saying that this modem dramatically improved the speed of relatively slow connections. I tested my bandwidth both before and after very thoroughly, both upstream and down. In the before part of my tests, I was using a Motorola Surfboard 5120. I saw absolutely no significant difference in either my upstream or downstream speeds after switching in the newer model. The reason this happened is because the 6120 is designed with the bonded channel DOCSIS 3.0 technology that provides you with more bandwidth *in very high speed applications only*.

So, if you have a bleeding fast internet connection, and your internet service provider supports DOCSIS 3.0 in your area, then you could see quite a large improvement in your bandwidth from this modem, according to everything I have read and heard. However, if like me, you cannot afford that speed of connection, you would be much better off saving your money and either keeping your Motorola Surboard 5120 or 5101, or getting one of those instead, since they are less expensive.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2009 12:10:41 PM PST
S. Kendel says:
Thank you for testmy dot net. That is what I have been looking for. I knew that the regular speed testing sites were giving me a bunch of BS. The tests were way too short to take into account the PowerBoost crap. Thanks again!!!

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 10:21:22 PM PDT
ecto says:
Great information, just exactly what I was wondering. Thanks, I'll go for a less expensive option.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 9:04:03 PM PST
Great, honest information. Thanks. As an update here, the Motorola 5120 is no longer manufactured but the 5010 is. I took your advice and saved some cash.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 11:34:32 AM PST
ajwees41 says:
was you area Docsis 3 when you bought this modem? if it was you should have bonded channels no matter what speed you pay for.

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 1:30:21 PM PST
BEACHMARCH says:
3/9/11 Comcast recommends getting the DOCSIS 3.0 for future upgrades.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 3:37:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 3:42:23 PM PDT
Alex Beal says:
This is a good thorough review, but unfortunately it's out of date. I'm on Comcast's "Blast!" tier where they advertise 20 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. Although I haven't tested my connection with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, I can say that with this modem I do get faster than advertised speeds. With the 200 MB test on testmy(dot)net, I'm getting download speeds of 24 Mbps and with the 100 MB test I'm getting nearly 27 Mbps. There is a significant slowdown around 75% through the 100MB test, though, where I think PowerBoost is cutting out (it's also unclear whether powerboost is supposed to kick you over 20 Mbps or up to 20 Mbps). My modem also reports that I'm getting bonded channels on the receive stream (aka, download stream), but not the send stream.

So, it seems like I'm getting better than advertised speeds, but it's questionable whether it's worth the extra $40. If anything, it might be worth it to future proof yourself for when 100+ Mbps speeds become affordable and DOCSIS 3.0 will really matter. As a plus, this also supports IPv6 and gigabit ethernet.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 3:05:20 AM PDT
Kid Icarus says:

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 5:02:50 PM PDT
Dustin Vic says:
Will this work for TimeWarnerCable?

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 10:21:01 PM PDT
T. Austin says:
I know it's an older review but since it's at the top I feel like I have to correct one thing: Unless you have a very old (or very slow) computer your computers "speed" has almost no impact on internet connection speed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›