5.0 out of 5 stars A Necessary Accessory to the 5D Mk. II, January 5, 2009
This review is from: Canon Battery Grip BG-E6 (Electronics)
I purchased this grip while my Canon EOS 5D Mark II was still on preorder. In fact, it arrived a week before the camera did. I did this because I fell in love with the feel of a vertical grip a long time ago, and every camera I've had since then has had one added almost immediately (including: EOS Elan IIe, D-Rebel 300D, 30D, and 40D).

The grip is a real benefit to those like me that have big hands, since all of your fingers can now rest against the camera instead of curling up underneath. It's also a great counterweight when shooting with heavy lenses such as the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L. The arrangement of the vertical shutter release and related buttons on the side makes for very comfortable vertical shooting.

The grip duplicates the shutter button on the lower right corner of the camera, as well as the series of buttons (AF-ON, EL/FEL, and focus point select) that are normally under your right thumb on the camera body. So when you are shooting vertically, all of these buttons are in the standard location and you can shoot as you would horizontally, without having to reach your hand across your forehead to shoot. The grip also has an on/off switch that defeats these buttons when they're not needed, so they aren't accidentally pressed.

The grip accepts one or two LP-E6 batteries, and includes a tray for emergency use that can be loaded with 6 AA batteries. While you can get a couple hundred shots off with the AA's, that number drops off quickly with a lot of LCD use, and there's no point in even TRYING to use the AA's to shoot video. I carry the tray in my bag in the VERY unlikely event that I manage to drain both of my LP-E6's. You can find AA's anywhere in a pinch.

With the two LP-E6's installed, the 5D Mark II will register both of the batteries and list their statistics simultaneously in the Battery Info screen. The Shutter Count numbers even operate independently. For example, after a long day of shooting (over 1500 frames), the Battery Info screen told me that Battery 1 was responsible for 806 frames, while Battery 2 was responsible for 746 frames. At this point, the batteries still showed a 78% charge on each one.

------------
[Edit 01/08/2009] I have a shoot tonight that I need to be safe for, so I'll be charging both of my batteries before I leave. But I wanted to update my battery info for those that are interested in how long two batteries will last: Battery 1: Shutter Count 1400, 60% charge remaining. Battery 2: Shutter Count 1318, 61% remaining.
------------

Grips for lower-end and earlier cameras (such as the grip for my D-Rebel 300D, etc) were made entirely of plastic and had too much flex when attached to the body -- it almost felt like you could break it right off. That is NOT the case with this grip. It feels as solidly built as the camera itself, and there is absolutely zero flex. It is also weather sealed around the buttons, battery compartment and dummy stalk, so you won't need to worry about it being the weak point in your camera's weather sealing.

The bottom of the grip has a fluted rubber base to reduce slippage and a sturdy tripod socket. It also has a strap mount for use with Canon's hand strap (you use the one on the grip, and the right strap mount by the shutter to install the hand strap).

Finally, as is the case with the BG-E2(N) (but not earlier models), there is a spot for you to store the camera's original battery door since it won't be in use while you have the grip attached.

If you have small hands or often worry about camera weight, you may want to try this out in a local camera shop before committing to the (admittedly expensive) purchase. The weight of the grip plus an extra battery is not negligible, and for those with small hands, it may just make the camera unwieldy. Otherwise, you'll want this. Definitely.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2009 6:46:52 AM PST
Susan Rogers says:
Great review, very helpful. I have been dragging my feet on this purchase because of the price but will now order it with confidence. Thank you

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 6:03:34 AM PDT
Sharp Gilpin says:
These grips are awersome. I ordered the BG-EN2 to use along with my 50D and found the feel/ grip excellent. Now that I recently got a 5DM2 I am ordering this grip. In fact, I did not realise that I would missed the grip so much until I first picked up the 5DM2 - pinky finger 'goes off' and finds itself below the camera -definately a weird feeling especially when you're accustomed to a grip. For those of you who have not used a grip before - GET ONE.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2010 11:44:33 PM PST
My sentiments exactly. I've had a 30D w/grip for 4 years now... just got a 5D MKII and it feels awkward w/no grip. I'm missing those extra inches where I can grip w/my fingers spread a bit more apart and brace the side of my palm against to help balance and have more control. Once you're used to using one, theres no going back.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 6:38:49 AM PDT
HD BD 5.1 says:
It's the BG-E6 a battery holder to put 2 LP-E6 inside or it's a battery itself???

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 7:05:39 AM PDT
Jeff Kraus says:
It's just a holder for the two batteries. You still have to get the batteries to put in it, although it can still operate with only one in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 7:09:29 AM PDT
HD BD 5.1 says:
Many thanks!

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 7:21:11 PM PDT
I. Schneider says:
Great review!! I'm glad that this battery grip seems to be super awesome. When I upgraded to my 5DM2 I didn't realize how much I would miss photographing vertically without cranking my hand. It's amazing how few vert images I take when I don't have a shutter realize down there!!

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 7:45:21 AM PDT
Bob says:
I have a question. You say "there's no point in even TRYING to use the (6) AA's to shoot video". Why is that? Have you tried six Lithium Energizer 8x batteries. I tried regular AA in my flash and shot for less than an hour. I switched to Energizer lithium and shot for the rest of my trip (under Amazon jungle canopy). If the same difference translates to this battery grip, should be able to shoot more video and pictures than the canon batteries. What do you think? You (or anyone else) have experience loading Energizer 8x lithium batteries in the grip? ... how many shots are possible? Thanks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (95 customer reviews)

$380.00 $259.95
Reviewer

Jeff Kraus
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Orlando, FL USA