Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but pricey, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic SC-HTB350 Energy Star 2.1-Channel 240-Watt Multi-Positional Audio System with Wireless Music Streaming via Bluetooth (Electronics)
I've yet to figure out whether I really like the SC-HTB350 or not. I've had it (purchased elsewhere) for less than 24 hours and am still fiddling with the settings, so I'll give you what I like and don't like...so far.

LIKE - The sub is spectacular with a superb range! I am hearing frequencies in songs that I rarely hear from other subs.
LIKE - Very little distortion across the volume range.
LIKE - Visually, this is a great set with sleek lines. I have it set up as two separate speakers.

DON'T LIKE - White speaker cables. Why they would produce a sleek black system and package ugly white cabling with it is beyond me - and before you go out and just buy black speaker cable keep in mind that the main unit has a proprietary connection for the speakers.
DON'T LIKE - The remote is small and cheesy, like it was just an after thought.
DON'T LIKE - The high frequencies have great support from the tweets. The sub handles the low frequencies with ease. The midrange, however, is a little lacking. To be fair, I may just need to mess with the settings more but that leads me to my biggest gripe...

BIGGEST DON'T LIKE - The controls are horrible! I expect much more finesse at the controls of a $300, 2.1 stereo system. Instead, all I get is blinking LED's that tell me what level I'm at. No LCD, not even numbers! With all of the different settings this system has (it has a bunch) it is completely idiotic to have to hold down <whatever button> for 2 seconds until this LED blinks then hit <whatever button> and watch for this LED or that LED to blink! I'd expect that from a system that costs half what this one does (maybe).

Truthfully, I will probably be returning this system. The sound quality is great, the looks are great, the controls - well, I've seen better controls on $100 boom-boxes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2012 8:46:26 AM PDT
loudsnares says:
I agree with 95% of what alceryes posted-however,considering what I paid for mine-I cant even hate on the system...the sound is big,the design is nice and the 2 in 1 detachable speakers is pure innovation!!! yes the remote is simple but if you want a fancy remote you must pay a fancy price...I recommend this over most sound bars strictly on sound and I only paid $160 @ Best Buy!!!!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 12:05:36 PM PDT
alceryes says:
Update:
I returned the SC-HTB350 two days later and about a month and a half ago picked up an Edifier S330D 2.1 set.
The Edifier set is better in (almost) every way! Cheaper, better sound quality, and much better midrange (it wasn't the controls - the midrange on the Panasonic is definitely lacking). The Edifier looks great but I have to give props to the sleek lines of the SC-HTB350. Also, the sub on the Edifier is as good, but not better, than the SC-HTB350.

All in all I am extremely happy with my Edifier S330D and would take that over this system any day. (Note that the Edifier is a two speaker system and does not have a sound bar option)

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 11:52:07 AM PDT
leebo says:
Thanks for the review, it was definitely helpful. I am probably going to buy anyways, the things you dont like I can overlook. BTW, the wires are white probably because if you run along or mount them on a wall, most walls are white...at least I think they are...appreciate it!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 11:30:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 6:30:58 PM PST
Objective says:
Pricey? This is one of the least expensive sound bars with separate wireless subs out there. And one of the better sounding ones compared to those less than $250. Yes, too bad Panasonic didn't spring for another $10 and add a better user interface. I returned mine in favor of a Sony, returned that and got a Zvox 420 and then a Zvox 580.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 4:51:28 PM PST
T. Killoran says:
This review is spot on. The user interface is terrible, you need to have the user manual in order to figure out what settings you are applying. The remote lacks buttons and you have to use certain codes to change settings. Also, there is no universal remote setup for this system. That's my biggest complaint. I'm always switching back and forth between remotes, and losing the surround sound remote since it's the size of a credit card.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›