Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a while!, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Samsung ML-2165W Wireless Monochrome Printer (Office Product)
This is my original 5 star review, see below for sad update:

I've had this Samsung 2165W monochrome wireless printer for just a few hours and here's what I know so far. (I'll post updates later when I have more experience.)

First of all, the price ($59 plus shipping) was very appealing, and delivery was super fast to my house (in Virginia) from Amazon's supplier.

There's not much in the box, and not much to assemble. You just pull off a couple of tape and packing pieces and snap in the exit tray. The toner cartridge is already installed--you just take it out, shake it up, and put it back in. No tabs to pull, etc.

The machine itself weighs almost nothing, and takes up about the space of a shoe box. Once installed, it needs only a power cord to serve all the computers in the house. It sleeps silently, and once awakened to print, it does so quickly, and with no more noise than any other printer. Then it goes back to sleep at once. So it's a very unobtrusive house guest.

Set up and installation is fairly easy. I am a clever DIY'er, and not afraid to wade into something technical; but I'm no IT tech by a long shot. But if you, like me, are happy to follow instructions and try something else if they don't work, you'll have little trouble. Here's how it went for me. YMMV.

I was expecting to have to connect the printer to my wireless router with an ethernet cable. But the printer doesn't even have a port for one. (Maybe that's what wireless means? Like I said, I'm no IT wiz!) I was also expecting it to provide it's own connection to my network (also a silly assumption, I guess.) Instead, for each computer in the family (we have 4) I had to connect it to the printer with the supplied USB cable, and insert the installation disc in the drive. I have a Cisco Valet wireless router; but it behaved oddly when I asked it to install the printer, so I gave up using the Cisco Connect program at all. The printer didn't mind a bit. Once connected to a computer (which has already been connected to the home LAN) the Samsung just found the correct network by itself. It did ask me to supply the network security key (whatever that is), but Cisco gave that info up to me easily enough on its third screen. From that point, it was just a matter of pressing all the NEXT buttons until the printer was up and running. At some point it tells you to remove the USB cable, and then the software finishes doing its wireless thing--with an occasional request for you to push the NEXT button, or make some simple and obvious decision. (I denied all requests to let it connect to the internet for registration and automatic updates, and resisted all other inducements to let Samsung spy on me. I'm not paranoid, just ornery!)

The installation software hung up and crashed once on three of the four computers, and always in a different place. But starting from scratch the second time always worked. So, in the end, I'd have call the installation a fairly easy gig.

Print quality is laser excellent, and now that anyone in the family can print from his or her laptop anywhere in the house--for $59 bucks--I'm as happy as a pig in mud.

I'll let you know how reliable it turns out to be, how many copies you get out of the toner, etc. But right now, it's looking like a darn good deal to me!

Update and down-rate: This thing has lost contact with all our computers, and no amount of rebooting or reinstalling will get it on-line. It is now only a hardwired printer for one laptop. Down-rating to 2 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2012 10:42:27 PM PDT
Kara Stone says:
Have you tried it as an "air printer" with an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, etc.? (No place to put a disk.)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 4:44:08 PM PDT
Jim from MA says:
Does it include a toner? Can you get compatible cheap toner?

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:31:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2012 7:12:38 PM PDT
J. LIM says:
Thank you for your post, just got my printer yesterday and I have started reading the guide, got confused. But yours is easier to understand, like you, I have 3 laptops which are connected wirelessly to my router. I will follow your directions, and hopefully my installation would be a breeze. Thanks!
Well, I installed the printer. Unlike R. LaRue, I didn't use the installation disc. Once I connected the printer to my laptop with the usb cable, the driver was installed automatically by Win7. I still went to the Samsung website and downloaded the file named ML_2160_PintD. I ran that program and followed all the instruction. My router does not have the WPS button, so I have to connect manually, giving the network name and key. It didn't complete the first few times, but be patient, just keep trying again and again from start. I think mine was completed successfully on the 4th try. After that you'll print a test page (without the usb cable) to see if your printer is working. It was easier when I installed the printer on my 2 other laptops. Since I have homegroup, I ran the downloaded file on the laptop, it automatically saw the printer which is now on the network, and installation was a breeze. I like it, for the price it's a very good printer, a little slow but for home use it will do the job.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:34:03 AM PDT
J. LIM says:
The printer comes with a toner. From what I've read, this toner would only be good for 700-800 copies, then you have to replace it. I'm pretty sure you could find a cheap compatible toner for this one. As with other printers, it would be a "hit and miss" one for toners. I have a Canon multipass printer, and I use generic cartridges and they all work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 1:41:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 1:42:19 PM PDT
Taufiq Habib says:
It's probably not AirPrint enabled. Get fingerprint and run it on an always-on pc

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 2:25:51 PM PDT
Everything okay until reaching the point to plug in the USB from the printer to the computer. There was no recognition that this had been done so clicking "next" just sent me back saying the same thing. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 8:03:30 PM PDT
tom savage says:
i'm not too happy with the samsung line. i had the non-wireless version of this printer and it pretty much died before going through the second toner (after the factory toner which is probably half or quarter full). but i suppose i can't lose with this price, i'll give them another try, it will be a good backup for my konica minolta.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 12:48:26 AM PST
Carol Wilson says:
Did you ever figure this out? That happened with one laptop so I just went to another one and had no issue. But now I cannot use it with this laptop. It just sends all print to file.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 6:19:27 AM PST
R. LaRue says:
No, sorry. Same thing happened to us. All the house hold laptops lost connectivity, one at a time. We have never gotten it back up, and we now have to hardwire each laptop when we want to print.

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 2:34:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2013 2:39:49 AM PDT
jscny says:
I am excellent in networking and PC management, This Samsung ML2165W Wifi Printer is a JOKE! You are absolutely right the network wifi connection works at first then will not and then you have to re configure again, then it will work and then lost connection again then Reconnect or reconfigure or go to PC Control Panel and Delete the Printer and then add printer again.. then it will work... then the next day wont work again.. so on and on.. This is the biggest joke in my life as a tech user! I wist I could go to the Empire State Building highest peak and throw this garbage to the ground, only if I can ask everyone to clear the ground first.. so no one gets hurt.. except the distraction of this cheap printer. I don't mean to be harsh or angry at Samsung but this is how disappointed I am and every time it fails to work I like to throw this junk out the window. The rating should allow us to go beyond 1 star.. This one gets negative 5 star!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›