5.0 out of 5 stars Best Application of Wii Technology Yet!!, May 21, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
We have been waiting for the Wii Fit release for quite a long time and are certainly not disappointed!! I'm sitting here, having worked up quite a sweat {and, counterintuitively, munching on a piece of Wegman's Ultimate Chocolate cake}!

The Wii Fit is very sturdy, heavy and well-built. The exercises are well-balanced (pardon the expression) between aerobics, balance, yoga, and strength. The device is easy to set up and anyone can be successful using the device. My one complaint is with the push-up exercise included under the strength regimen. The Wii Fit is made of hard plastic and it makes it difficult to get a good purchase on the device while doing the push ups. Its great exercise, since your hands are also fairly close together, but my hands keep slipping and it feels uncomfortable. Several people have suggested buying one of the covers, such as Wii Fit Protective Silicon Cover, but I have not tried this yet.

Otherwise, the games included on the Wii Fit disk are fun and the skiing is great!

I believe we will continue to use the device, especially since my Mii was visually"adjusted" to reflect my Body Mass Index (BMI). Losing a little weight is now a matter of pride!! It also calculated my "age" at my actual age...absolutely unsatisfactory...must be 20 years younger!! {grin} However, it allows you to set target weight and BMI, so you will compete against yourself to lose weight and also improve your overall fitness level. It's fun! If your personal stats are upsetting to you, fear not, you can password protect them! One word of caution...don't take the BMI or "Age" calculated for you by the software too seriously. Use common sense. Although it SHOULD help you improve your fitness, this is still a game and NOT a professional exercise device. There have been several bits on the news this week claiming that the Wii is no substitute for a personal trainer (interviewing personal trainers, of course) but most of us don't have time for a personal trainer and also cannot afford one. The Wii Fit is much better than the alternative....nothing.

There are plenty of exercises and activities to keep things fresh and to keep your interest. Particularly good if you live in a dorm or apartment and don't have much room for dedicated exercise equipment.

Overall, This Is A Great Device!! An absolute "Must Have" for all Wii owners!!! Now, if it could only keep me away from the cake!

UPDATE 2009: We really like using the Wii Fit with the Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party. Much fun!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2008 10:19:27 AM PDT
Adam says:
I bet if you got the silicone cover, you wouldn't slip anymore. I actually have that problem with a few of the exercise (like lunges!) and intend to try out the silicone cover very soon. Should help keep it clean too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2008 2:38:37 PM PDT
Grimmy says:
This week, it seems that Circuit City has the cover and rechargeable batteries at about $15 each. I got both and was pleasantly surprised at checkout.

Posted on May 22, 2008 2:39:31 PM PDT
Grimmy says:
Well, the whole point of Wii Fit is ... feeling good while eating cake!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2008 5:26:18 PM PDT
Telemachus says:
Exactly...question is, can you keep your balance WHILE eating cake?

Posted on May 27, 2008 8:23:40 AM PDT
Mel_Cali says:
Yep, the silicon cover will do the trick for you, friend had the same issue and it helped her (although, she does the "girly" push-ups with her knees down - lol). She also has hardwood floors and put the balance board on a regular yoga/pilates mat she had stuffed in the back of her closet ;) I have a cover and mat, but no WiiFit yet :( I hope that I can find one before I'm old enough to collect social security.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2008 12:54:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2008 12:54:45 PM PDT
Telemachus says:
I'm reserving judgement for awhile on the silicon covers. I've seen a few reviews from people who say it chages the device's ability to determine weight and balance a bit. I'm not certain WHY that would be...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 3:22:06 AM PDT
M. Morales says:
The way I see it is if Nintendo didn't make a silicon cover themselves, then this wasn't meant to use one.

Posted on Jun 19, 2008 9:33:05 PM PDT
A. Morris says:
Was it Fox News that did the "bits on the news this week claiming that the Wii is no substitute for a personal trainer?" If so, then do not believe any of it. Fox News is the worst news station ever and seem to hate video games. I'm not saying that Wii Fit IS a good substitute for a personal trainer, but I'm saying it could be. I'm sure personal trainers wouldn't like being replaced by a Wii console (they could have even payed off the News Agencies). Despite all of that, like you said "it is better than doing nothing." Most of us don't have the time or the money to work with a personal trainer, and I think Wii Fit is made for those kind of people. Good review, I might end up buying this once it is available.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2008 1:18:04 PM PST
N. Richko says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2008 10:09:51 AM PST
The Cake is a lie!!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,754 customer reviews)
 (1,282)