3.0 out of 5 stars Covering Everything You Need, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months: How Anyone at Any Age Can Learn to Speak Any Language from Anywhere in the World (Kindle Edition)
After reading through Fluent in 3 Months, I can easily say that I am far more encouraged to tackle learning a second language than I have been in a very long time. After trying and giving up on 5 different languages in the past (and only getting marginally tourist ready), there were many new tips included in this book that I am excited about giving a try.

I believe it is worth noting with this book that it covers the entire spectrum of language learning from the tricks to pick up new vocabulary all the way to information from famous polyglots on what it takes to become masters of several languages. Upon my first go around with the book I found myself trailing off around 2/3 of the way through because I am nowhere near the level of mastery in any language to think about those stages just yet. But you can bet if I ever get that far I'll be referencing this book over and over again.

If you are having troubles learning a new language, or do not know where to begin, this one is for you. If you are actively picking up a second language and not running into any road blocks, I do not think you may get as much out of it as I did.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2014 8:55:33 AM PDT
I'm confused. Why did you give it only 3 stars?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2014 9:53:44 AM PDT
J says:
As I mentioned in my review, I think the book covers the entire spectrum of language learning and spends a good amount of time discussing some higher end topics that people who are looking for fluency/mastery or even becoming a polyglot may need. For someone starting out like myself, the topics are quite a ways off for me, but the topics that are focused on people in my skill level (aka beginner / quitter of the past) are enough to encourage you to start up once again. As it were, I would have been more than happy to hear even more to that extent.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2014 2:30:30 PM PDT
el cid says:
I too am confused!! You really don't have negative things to say; apparently the book has been helpful to you; Your 3 star rating hurts the author's overall Amazon rating.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2014 3:44:39 PM PDT
J says:
I'm not sure why a 3 star review of a book deserves having severely negative things to say, as per Amazon's review standards, a 3 star is not a bad review.

It is an alright book worth picking up and I'm providing constructive feedback on the parts I found "just okay". I'm neither raving about it nor complaining. I think it is helpful for some, not helpful for others, and has parts that you need to wait on to receive the full benefit once you get there (if a beginner). That is why I put it as 3 stars. There is something for just about everyone but everyone will benefit from different parts at different times in their language learning path.

I bought it and recommend people buy it if you fit within the cases I outlined in my original review but also gave cases for those who may not like it. I think that is fair for 3 stars, but admittedly I would have preferred 3 1/2 if I had the option as I would lean towards that end if I had the choice.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 2:46:24 PM PDT
Useful review, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 2:47:11 PM PDT
Don't worry about it.

(You wouldn't happen to be shilling, would you, Sid?)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›