Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Blue-Ray carries itself very well, July 5, 2010
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs in Blue-ray 3D is the first 3D Blue-ray alvailable outside of a 'bundled with hardware' set. I have the 'Aliens VS Monsters' that came with my saumsung 3D glasses, so I have something to compare it to.

The 3D effect is better on the 'Cloudy with a chance of meatballs' disk than the 'Aliens VS Monsters' disk. Better left and right eye seperation, no noticable '3D is lost for a moment' points (the 'Aliens VS Monsters' disk has about 3 of these - they are minor, but there).

I first saw this movie in 3D at the theater, then watched it about 6 times on 2D on Blue-ray, and my wife begrudging watched it again with me because it was in 3D (she asked how many times was I going to buy this movie?). The 3D at home for this movie was a superior experience then the 3D at the theater. Honest - and I am using a LED-LCD 3D tv (those with Plasama 3D tv's will be even more impressed).

Here is the thing - if you have a house full of kids that would just break the 'over a hundred bucks each' 3D glasses, do the 2D blue-ray or only watch this 3D blue-ray in 2D mode when they are awake. If you are a kid at heart (like me) the 3D is fun. It will not make a bad movie good, but it can make a great movie (which 'Cloudy with a chance of meatballs' really is) even more fun.

I think I will just go watch it again - writing this review got me in the mind set. Few things are as visually amazing as the chese burgers falling from the sky and breaking up in slow motion.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2010 2:16:31 AM PDT
Thanks for the review. I fully appreciate your enthusiasm for this movie. I am anxiously awaiting my new Samsung 58C8000 so I too can enjoy this in 3D.

Does the 3D Blu-ray have the same special features as the 2D Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo?

Directors' Commentary with Bill Hader
Interactive "Splat" Button (Throw Food at the Screen While You Watch the Movie!)
A Recipe for Success: The Making of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Interactive "Raining Sunshine" Sing-A-Long
"Raining Sunshine" Music Video by iCarly's Miranda Cosgrove
Behind the Scenes of Miranda Cosgrove's "Raining Sunshine" Music Video
Make It Rain Food

I hope Sony included the same special features so I can sell the 2D Blu-ray, rather than have to keep both versions.

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 5:27:26 PM PDT
Ash Starr says:
I also agree with your wife, how many times are you going to watch this movie ? Aready 7 times sound very wierd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 7:29:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2010 8:43:37 AM PDT
Marc Hines says:
The 3D blue ray has quite a few of these extra features, but they are not in 3D. I did not look to see if they were all the same as the combo, but I am guessing they are. Enjoy you new Samsung TV!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 9:33:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2010 9:48:19 PM PDT
What kind of 3D glasses do you have? I'm planning to buy the Acer 3D monitor with Nvidia 3D glasses and Power DVD 10 Ultra software to make my PC 3D capable. I already have a Liteon 4x BD drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2010 8:42:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2010 8:57:35 AM PDT
Marc Hines says:
The glasses are an area of confusion. I got the '3D pack' from samsung that had the Monsters vs aliens' 3D blue ray and two pairs of adult sized active shutter glasses [the pack was a freebe when I bought a samgung 3d tv and 3d blueray player].

The TV sends and infra-red sync signal to the glasses when 3d content is playing. It is built in, where as the new Sony 3d TV's need a seperate transmitter.

If your monitor can do a least 120 hz, buying a set of glasses and a tramitter to control them should work. I need to say that you need the fastest & Brightest LCD monitor (Preferablely and LED-LCD) because the brightness in cut in half when the glasses are running - only one eye at a time gets a picture. An if the redraw on the LCD is slow, your 3d image will have cross talk (each eye see a little of the image left over for the other eye). Plazma TVs are better at 3d - but to my eyes are not as watchable in 2d (I really like the Brightness of the LED-LCD tvs).

In answer to you question - the hardware you are planning on buy should do the trick, and support 3d gaming very well, also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2010 8:47:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2010 8:50:01 AM PDT
Marc Hines says:
She was complaining about how many time I have purchased it, actually. I cannot count the variations of the star wars films I have bought (starting with VHS tapes, laser disks and so on).

As to watching it often, that is a matter of taste and preference. The color on the new LED-LCD tv is just amazing, and watching an excellent animation like this is very much like eating a favorite dessert. Each time is it very enjoyable (but not fattening in this case)

Watching it again with someone who has not seen it before is also fun - their reactions to the wonderful zanyness is part of the fun for me.

But I will be honest - I am basically still 10 years old when it somes to watching animation - it is a blast back to my youth.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 6:36:22 PM PDT
rex says:
Thanks for your review.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 6:57:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 6:58:23 PM PDT
I haven't bought the monitor yet, turns out that monitor I was going to get is only LCD. But now they've released an LED monitor that comes with the Nvidia glasses, and it's 27 inches, the other monitor was only 23. I am now saving for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:33:57 AM PDT
Marc Hines says:
The good news is: The longer you wait, the better the monitor will be (and the less it will cost). I paid a premium for mine (well, I did work a decent deal, but it was still not as cheap as a base model). I use the LED TV for both TV and as my computer monitor, so I was double dipping and could justify the expense (in my mind, anyway). Bigger is better - go for the 27 if you can!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 6:01:37 PM PDT