5.0 out of 5 stars I am going to watch them all again, August 10, 2011
This review is from: Smallville: The Complete Series (DVD)
There are very few movies or TV shows I watch more than once but now that I am almost finished with the 218 episodes of Smallville, I do plan on watching them all again, maybe next summer, if I can wait that long.

As a kid and teenager, I used to buy all the Superman/Superboy/Supergirl/Batman, etc. comic books I could get my hands on, so I am pretty familiar with the story of Superboy and Superman. The comics are a bit different than what Smallville has come up with, but I love the way this was handled.

It is exciting and fun to watch Clark Kent discovering his powers one by one and becoming the highly moral, selfless hero that Superman is. I like that he has his parents and friends all there to support and help him when he isn't saving them. It is also quite funny to see all the inside jokes and references to other Superman TV shows or comics. I find it funny also that Clark Kent is afraid to fly even now that I am halfway into season 10.

I approve of the way Clark Kent dresses now that he is practicing as being a hero. I always cringed to see Superman wearing those tights and briefs with the cape. That red, blue and yellow costume looks ridiculous. Clark dresses in darker colors with the big S on his chest. So far I have not actually understood what the S is supposed to stand for. It is his family symbol from Krypton, but why an S?

I have found many things I can criticize over the 10 seasons, but not enough to make me stop watching this show. I don't like that the genres are always getting mixed together. In one episode, Lana Lang becomes a vampire. That was almost enough to make me say "forget it!" but luckily, that didn't last. I also think it is a bit strange that Clark is always being told how he is supposed to be the greatest savior this world has ever known. That seems to be putting him on an equal footing with spiritual masters and it doesn't make any sense because there are so many other people in this series with super powers including a bunch of Kryptonians at some point. For a guy who is supposedly almost invulnerable, he is constantly getting the (bleep) kicked out of him. I also didn't care for the season where Lana Lang moves in with Lex Luther and then marries him. It made me not like her although she wasn't evil, she was protecting Clark.

Tom Welling is about the perfect actor to play Clark Kent/Superman. He has the looks and the build. Besides being good looking, he can be the good boy, Clark and the bad boy, Dark Clark (when he is affected by Red Kryptonite). He does a convincing job either way.

The funny thing is that I never watched this show the whole time it was running, but as soon as it ended, I got hooked! I am glad I waited until it was on DVD because it is such a pleasure to watch all of the episodes without any commercials or TV icons on the screen as we see with TV shows all the time now. Also, it would have driven me nuts to have to wait from the season cliffhangers to the next season.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2011 3:34:10 AM PST
Eric Edwards says:
I believe that the S on his chest Stands for Superman Silly! It also kinda Sorta Stands for Smallville. The cliffhangers were almost unbearable but the worst was when they had that stupid anamation at the bottom of the screen for ads etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 10:30:09 AM PST
Linda says:
I think the original Superman had an S on his chest for "Superman" but in Smallville, the storyline showed the symbol as something that resembled an S but might have been something else. It was supposed to be his family symbol or something from Krypton.

I never watched Smallville on the CW. I have only watched DVDs and Blurays. So much nicer than having to put up with animated junk on screen. I hate that! It is making me not watch a lot of stuff on TV because the screen is so full of junk there is barely any room for the show.

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 11:45:34 PM PDT
RizarLogic says:
I agree that Smallville should have stayed away from things like witchcraft, magic, and vampires. One of the most annoying things for me was the constant identity/mind swapping type episodes because now whenever I watch any series or even a Star Trek episode based on mind swapping I quickly sigh, lay my head back, and start to fall asleep! It leads to some interesting performances by actors, but it is a difficult type of story idea to use in a unique or creative way without making the story seem fake (and so fake that any emotional content of the story seems inhuman at best). I especially hated the inclusion of magic in series 4, but at least the series goes quickly away from such silly and juvenile experiments.

One of the tests for me is how often I end up watching the commentaries and special features of a TV series, and then re-watch my favorite episodes over and over. Smallville actually has some of my favorite episodes to re-watch as much as any of my other favorite dramatic/fantasy based TV series'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 3:51:46 PM PDT
Linda says:
I ended up watching the whole series from start to finish twice. I probably will watch it all again, but I am giving it some time so it will seem fresh again. Now that I am able to watch on a Home Theater with surround-sound, it should be a little different the 3rd time around. Although, the first few seasons are not in surround-sound!!! Bummer!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 1:26:21 PM PDT
Jonny Lee says:
Am I the only one who realizes that Superman is an alien? Why are you all in love with an alien? Keep me out of it, please!

@RizarLogic: There would have been no way to come up with 218 episodes and leave those things out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (297 customer reviews)

$339.88 $174.99