2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
There are better designer programs,
This review is from: Chief Architect Home Designer Pro 9.0 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
Many years ago, I purchased Chief Architect to design my home in California. While the learning curve was steep, I was able to fully design a 3200 sq ft home remodel. I created a full set of plans for the San Joaquin building department which were accepted. We went on to build and complete this project.
Last year I purchased Home Designer Pro because it is significantly cheaper than the new Chief Architect. I figured that the software shouild be much improved, and while I was not purchasing their flag-ship software, it would still be good. Boy, was this assumption wrong!
Here are a few of the issues I experienced.
1) The functionality of Home Designer Pro was less than I experienced 10 years previously.
2) This time I designed a 2300 sq ft home remodel. The software bogs down when you near the completion of the plan. It can take up to 10 seconds just to try to move a piece of furniture from one side of a room to another. (I am running this on a dual core 2.41Ghz processor and 2GB of ram.)
If you try this move on a very simple design - a single room house for example, the furniture moves quickly.
3) Searching for furniture is extremely slow. The software does not have an index, but seems to need to read all the furniture objects to locate what you want. This can take up to 20 seconds to complete.
4) Composite furniture objects are not scalable. For example, a sectional sofa object, is actually made up of 4 components. You would have to build one from scratch to make it the size that you want.
5) Printing is a bear! It is difficult to size and print plans.
The software system was so bad, that I had to hire an architect to actually draw the plans, because of the extreme problems with this software.
In short, you should stay away from this software and find something else that works better. (My college degree is in Computer Science and I have 30+ years experience with software.)