Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally the STB I've been looking for!!!, April 3, 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
Wow, I love this thing. Having used a few generations of Roku, 2 Apple TV's and other solutions... I was always left wanting. When I'd first heard rumors of Amazon doing a set top box I got excited, when I saw it was available for sale it took me all of 3 seconds to go "yup I'm going to order and pay for local delivery"

Pros:
1080p
Optical Audio
Voice search (which works better than Siri on my iPhone) instead of a painful searching with the remote
Allows for gaming (I most likely won't use but still neat)
4x the RAM of competitors
Faster processor

Major Cons:
I wish the remote would have a lion battery, if using voice search often I can see it draining AAA's fast.

Minor Cons:
No HDMI cable, I don't get why manufacturers want us to buy them seperate, slap one in the box and markup the price the cost of the cable.

While I've only played with it for an hour or so, my first impressions are it's well worth the price. It's snappy, I actually have a reliable way to watch prime videos on my television now (which means I'll actually watch them, I've watched 1 episode of Red Dwarf on my kindle fire and an episode or two of stuff on my iPhone... in 3 years of being a prime member). As far as looks, I love that it's black (all of my home theater stuff is) and the finish is nice (doesn't reflect the LED from my tv's name badge or the power LED on my subwoofer).

And the thing I'm most happy about, I can now be a cord cutter! Some of my shows I watch I can get over the hair with an HD antenna, the rest are all available either for purchase or for prime streaming!

Update April 25th, 2014: after having used for some weeks now I've decided there is one flaw, while viewing a video if you press the home button it dumps you out to the main screen without any confirmation. It would be really nice if, while playing a video, a confirmation came up when pressing the home button.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2014 5:47:47 AM PDT
Ron Callari says:
Interested to find out some of the pros and cons of Amazon vs. some of the others in the market - contemplating a blog on the topic. Let me know--> roncallari@comcast.net

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 6:05:43 AM PDT
Dr. A says:
Are you able in install programs from outside the amazon app store? On most android devices you have the ability to go into settings and check the box next to "Allow installation of apps from unknown sources." Does the fire tv have this feature?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 6:12:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2014 6:13:15 AM PDT
I haven't tried, I've got phones and tablets so don't much care. If Amazon doesn't allow it, someone will 'jailbreak'/root it pretty fast I'm sure.

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 6:13:17 AM PDT
Nice, thanks for the tip! Am looking into things like this for my birthday coming up in a few weeks. In the meantime: Red Dwarf! Good taste :) Also, I agree about manufacturers and the HDMI cable situation, but yeah, it's not enough to dissuade me from making a purchase. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 6:14:40 AM PDT
Dr. A says:
Appreciate your quick response. Installing apps from unknown sources does not require any type of jailbreak on Android devices. Sometimes makers like Amazon remove this feature to close down the ecosystem thus adding an extra layer of security. If you own the device would you mind going to your setting and seeing if this feature is there?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 6:17:53 AM PDT
Sure, I'll poke around when I get home this evening and see.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 6:19:51 AM PDT
John, that's exactly what this is. I buy myself something for my birthday every year (3/23) and this year I didn't really want anything... until Fire TV, picked it up and a sound bar as my gift.

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 6:52:03 AM PDT
J&J Wiley says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 6:56:07 AM PDT
WRONG, as you can see I am NOT a vine reviewer, as some of the positive reviews before me. I paid for my Fire TV.

I don't care about HBO. Only thing I watch on HBO is Boardwalk Empire and I think this was either just the last season or they are making 1 more season and it's over, if that's the case I'll just buy the episodes online. Only other thing I've EVER watched on HBO was the Sopranos. I really don't care about HBO or HBO go... as soon as this billing cycle on my AT&T television is up I'm cancelling television and going to net only. Most of the shows I watch are over-the-air on one CBS/NBC/ABC.

kthanxbye

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 6:59:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2014 7:24:01 AM PDT
@ J&J - Um, don't you have to have an HBO cable subscription in order to use HBO GO? Your statement assumes that any good reviewer pays for cable, along with an upgraded cost to view HBO. I consider myself an excellent reviewer, but would never pay $80 a month just to view the movie channels, which includes HBO GO. I could care less about ANY stupid cable app on any device. I pay for basic cable, Netflix and that's it!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›