4.0 out of 5 stars D-pad didn't work at first. Here's how I fixed it. Beyond initial issues with setting it up, it's of a decent enough quality., April 5, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Retrolink Nintendo 64 Classic USB Enabled Wired Controller for PC and MAC, Black (Video Game)
This controller works, but I had a lot of issues getting it set up. I will note these issues down here for anyone else who may be experiencing these issues. I had to piece this together through a lot of google searching and testing things out, so I figured I'd put it all together here. (I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.)

The emulator I use is named Project64. It's a very stable and well-functioning emulator. However, when I tried to map the keys, the D-pad would simply not respond. Everything else would respond, but the D-pad would not.

What I ended up doing was I downloaded a free plugin called N-rage. (Google that and you'll find it.) I put the plugin in the 1.6 Plugin folder(Project64 2.0\Plugin\1.6 Plugin). Inside Project 64, I went to Options, Settings, Plugins, and in the Input (controller) Plugins dropdown menu, I chose N-rage. (It should be there if you put it in the plugins 1.6 folder.)

I then went to Options, and Configure Controller Plugin. It still wouldn't read my D-pad. After a lot of frustration and trying things, what ended up working was going to the Devices tab and under the device dropdown menu (in GamePad) and choosing USB Vibration Joystick.

Finally, I was able to set my D-pad, making my controller setup complete. However, things would still not work, since whenever I tried to open a game, this error would pop up:

Error creating Mempak!
The MemPak Directory doesn't exist!

Create Directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64.2.0\MemPaks" now?

It would not do it, which resulted in the emulator being unable to play any games. What I ended up doing was navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 2.0 and creating a folder named MemPaks myself. This worked.
I was then able to play games like normal.

The controller itself is not nearly of the quality a standard Nintendo 64 controller is, but it's good enough for solid gameplay. I haven't been using it for very long (I got it the day I wrote this review), but it has a good enough feel to it. It's lighter than a regular N64 controller and, yes, the joystick is a bit weird, but it's playable. (It's extremely sensitive and takes some fiddling around with the emulator you use to make it work right, especially for racing games. F-zero X was almost completely unplayable until I messed with the settings for a bit, and even that took a while to get it right.) I wouldn't call it great, but this is more than good enough to use with Project64 or something similar.

The plastic and construction are very cheap. It feels a bit weird at the end of the left and right handles, almost like they're slightly out of place. This doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but I wouldn't drop this thing on any sort of solid floor. It'd probably break in half.

I'm giving it a 4 stars right now, docking one star since it took a LOT longer to set up than I would have wanted. (At least for me, it was very much not plug `n play.) It seems some people have gone so far as to return it due to facing the sort of stuff I did with this product. However, it did do what I needed it to do when I got it working and it did it well. It's also the only regular looking USB N64 controller (the only other one you can buy glows blue and has odd-shaped handles), so I can't exactly take a star off for poor build quality as long as it works (which it does.) This is the only product like it that you can buy anywhere, and it works. So if you're in need of a USB N64 controller, I say give this a buy. I intend to get another one of these later to have a backup controller and to play multiplayer with.

(Also, a side note, the controller I got was black, not grey like in the picture. It seems it is random which color you will receive. This is a total non-issue, though, as the color makes no difference.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2013 3:12:42 PM PDT
You are God-send. Exact same operating system, emulator, and problem. Just saved me 6 hours. If I could, I'd give the product 4 stars and you 12.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 6:58:15 PM PDT
Sean says:
I agree, this man is officially the most amazing person on the planet right now!

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 8:54:25 AM PDT
Wow, thank you so much!! I also have the exact same OS as you.

You didn't just save me time, you probably saved me from throwing my computer out the window.. seriously, Thank you!!

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 1:47:33 AM PDT
ali says:
Do you think this would work on Windows8?

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 6:28:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2013 6:29:19 PM PDT
Kyle Hill says:
On Project 64 how do you map anything period? When I plug my joystick in it always says something about keys being in use and cannot be changed so I wind up unplugging my joystick and then I can change the keys once again strangely.

Doing a hard search didn't yield any results other then problems that were not mine.

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 9:14:25 PM PDT
N. Nguyen says:
Thank you SO much!

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 10:31:35 PM PST
Colin Betts says:
You, sir, are a saint. Thank you for posting this in a place that I knew I could find it. Thumb him up, boys!

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 4:47:23 AM PST
patricksch says:
does the controller feel natural? is it like playing on the real thing or is it sorta wonky?

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 3:07:41 PM PST
Cainrin says:
Thanks so much for the info, this is the only helpful bit I've found on this same problem I'm having. Has anyone figured out how to get it to work on Windows8? I don't have the "USB Vibration Joystick" option under devices, just the Generic USB option.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2015 1:22:58 PM PST
THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE FOR PEOPLE WHO'S COMPUTERS ARE NOT RECOGNIZING THE CONTROLLER! I'm not sure if this works for EVERYONE, cause I did it on a Windows 7. Steps: First, plug in your retrolink 64 controller, then you need to download MotionInJoy's PS3 TOOL, yes the ps3 software. From there, you go to the driver manager tab on the program. Under HARDWARE LOCATION, check the boxes, two popped up for me. Generic USB Joystick and another that was a port (the port the controller is plugged in). Make sure to check them both. Then click LOAD DRIVER. MotionInJoy will download it's own drivers for it. Once it's done, Click on the PROFILE button. It should say "GENERIC GAME CONTROLLER" under connected game controllers. We're about half way done, people! Now to make sure this was successful (and it should be!) click on GAME CONTROLLER PANEL. A small window should open saying the status as okay for MotionInJoy Virtual Game Controller. Another precaution, click on properties. Another small window will open. This is where you can test the dpad, buttons, and analog. Just press buttons and you'll see. Working order, correct? Okay, wonderful. Now to the last part. Go ahead and okay out of the two small windows. You can just minimize MotionJoy Gamepad tool. Don't want to exit it! Open your PROJECT 64 emulator. Go to options and down to SETTINGS. Go then to PLUGINS. On the input controller plugin. DO NOT USE NRAGE!!!!! Go to Jabo's Direct Input 1.7.0.12 or whatever you have for that. Apply and okay it. Go back to options then down to CONFIGURE CONTROLLER PLUGIN. There! You should see MotionJoy Virtual Game Controller. Configure as you will!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›