5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed So Far - Excellent Camera!, June 2, 2005
This review is from: Canon Rebel T2 35mm SLR Camera with the EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens (Electronics)
I purchased this camera recently as a replacement/upgrade from my EOS Rebel G, which is aging although it still works well. This camera has a few more features than my old Rebel G. Like all EOS gear, my other lenses and my speedlite work with it and have no problems.

The Rebel T2 is apparently available in two different models, the T2, and the T2 Date. I opted for the T2. While reading the manual (which covers both) I learned that the T2 Date has feature that is supposed to be specific to it, the compatibility with the Canon Wireless Remote RC-5. When I checked the web site for available accessories, the RC-5 came up as one for my model. I'm not certain if the manual is accurate or not. The manual also specifies that the wireless remote may be subject to unwanted shooting when in areas of fluorescent lighting. The camera does definitely support a wired remote (my personal preference).

The Rebel T2 came with the 28-90 mm lens as described here. This lens is super quick and does take very clear photos, though I've not tried to enlarge any thus far to examine for aberrations. My prints thus far did not show any problems. The auto-focus, as I mentioned, is very quick and very accurate. It seems to take me longer than I'd like to change the focusing points when the camera is focusing on the wrong object, but I believe that I'll get better as I practice it. The process is not complicated.

The camera has several modes that are fairly intuitive and well explained by the manual. The basic modes include night portrait, sports, close-up, portrait, landscape, and no-flash. The manual clearly explains all the different modes of operation in detail including tips such as using the flash for a portrait at night while not underexposing the background.

The biggest change on this camera that I'm having to adjust to is the aperture-preview button, which basically will frame the shot and adjust the aperture to show me what I can expect my picture to look like in the end. I've always had a good feel for this because I've been taking pictures for the last 15 years with SLR's, but with some work I may find it useful. I've heard students in photography classes gripe about owning a camera that didn't have one.

The camera is fairly light as SLR's go, and to me seems ergonomically well designed, though you may not think so if you are left-handed (all the controls are designed for right-handed manipulation - either thumb or forefinger). The large LCD display on the rear (as opposed to the tiny LCD screen on the top) is heaven compared to my previous Rebel G. It displays a wealth of information and is easy to read.

An added feature of this camera is a lock that prevent the user from trying to take a picture with no film in the camera or if the subject is moving too much. Personally, I don't like this feature but doubtlessly many people will love it. It is a selectable option for those who are not interested in it.

The only thing that I really don't like about this camera is the film cover release. On other cameras (including my Rebel G), the release was on the side next to the cover, on the non-hinged side of the body. On the Rebel T2, it's on the cover itself. So now I have to use my thumb to release it and simultaneously use my index finger to open it, as opposed to letting it pop open like on most cameras. Not really a big deal, but I hope they don't do it again.

The biggest advantage of this camera that I love over my other cameras is that the Rebel T2 will take 3 pictures per second through the whole roll (my Rebel G managed one picture every 1.5 seconds, I think). This makes a big difference for photographing sporting events. Despite what others may say, I've tested it, and I really do get 3 frames per second.

My biggest suggestion for anyone who purchases this camera is simply to sit down and take the 20 minutes to read the manual prior to doing any shooting with it, even if you have significant experience with other Canon models. There is a wealth of information in this manual and it's easy enough for everyone to understand, without being too boring even for the experienced photographers.

Also if you're interested in this camera, try to find a store that will let you rent one, or a fiend that will let you borrow one. Try to use all the features and see if it will do what you need.

[Add comment]