5.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo TX-NR609 is a Masterpiece of a Mid-range Receiver, April 4, 2011
This review is from: Onkyo TX - NR609 7.2 Channel Network THX Certified A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I wanted to upgrade my receiver from a non hdmi Yamaha HTR-5890 to hdmi one. Researched a lot of receivers and bought a Denon AVR990 7.1-Channel Multi-Zone Home Theater Receiver with Networking Capability and 1080p HDMI Connectivity. Then I found out this new receiver Onkyo is releasing and was due to be out pretty soon. I liked the Denon's features, especially the built in HD Radio which I miss in this Onkyo. Anyway, I still love the new Onkyo TX-NR609.

The OSD GUI is fabulous and very pleasing to the eye. Pandora, Slacker, vTuner, and DLNA features are very attractive for my likes and will most likely use them the most, among the other 'Internet' features. Connecting my Wii, PS3, HTPC, Cable box, and Asus media player was a breeze. I use banana clips for speakers and is very easy to connect. I use a Velodyne powered subwoofer, NHT ones for fronts, and Infinity Quadrapoles for surround back. The Onkyo was out of the box and connected in 15 minutes. The first time I powered it up and heard the sound, I was pretty happy with the result. I am yet to use Audyssey to setup my speakers but already like the sound even before configuring. They have taken out the Audyssey MultiEQ and provided just the 2EQ which I am fine with but some people may not like that.

I miss the HD Radio which I started getting used to on the Denon. I hate the idea that I need to spend another $100+ on a Onkyo UP-HT1 HD Radio Tuner to use the HD radio feature on the receiver. This is lame.

The Qdeo video processing is something else. It does an excellent job and the 1080p picture on my Samsung UN55B8500 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV looks amazing. All my components are power conditioned through the Monster Home Theatre Reference HTS 2600 MKII PowerCenter with Clean Power Stage 2 v.2.1 10.

Onkyo has made some improvements on the NR609 compared to the predecessors. There is a fan on the top for additional cooling. Seems like Onkyo has finally heard the complaints of the previous owners of over heating receivers. Thanks to Onkyo, for adding this extra fan. The remote is very well laid out and easy to use. The THX Music and Cinema setting both work very well for my sources.

I highly recommend this receiver for anyone looking for a fairly priced mid-range AV receiver.

4/5/2011 - The HDMI through was not turned on by default. I had to go into Hardware Setup and turn on "HDMI Control" which also sets "Audio Tv Out" to auto and "HDMI Through" to on.

There is also additional options setting for HDMI Through. You have the options to either set HDMI Through to, 'Off' (Default), 'Auto detect', 'Last source selected' and specific HDMI 'Input jack'. (previous 60x model only offers Last source).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2011 5:17:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2011 5:19:38 PM PDT
rch says:
You mentioned that MultiEQ was taken out, but upon reviewing the 608 - it never had MultiEQ. So is this a mistake? The reason why I ask is because I'm most interested in the Auto Volume Adjustment feature that occurred on the 608 when the volume changes drastically such as during commercials. Does this Onkyo 609 resolve the problem of having LOUD commercials? The Amazon site does not state that this receiver has Dynamic Volume, but on Onkyo's website - it has a checkmark next to Dynamic Volume. Please share your experience regarding the Volume Levels, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 11:22:35 AM PDT
Aurthur760 says:
The Dynamic Volume setting does indeed balance both loud commercials and quiet shows and scenes, and yes it does exist on the TX-NR609.

Posted on May 2, 2011 3:40:29 PM PDT
You mentioned being impressed with the Qdeo video processing...does that upconvert all video? Specifically I was wondering if it upconverts component input (Wii)? Also, if I hookup everything to the unit using HDMI but then have my Wii using component, it will upconvert the signal and then run it to the TV using HDMI correct?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 3:54:05 PM PDT
Yes, Dynamic volume does exist. I particularly like this as the commercials are really annoying sometimes with high volumes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 3:57:12 PM PDT
Correct, It upconverts all sources to HDMI. The input does not matter as long as you are selecting the right source. The source is upconverted and transmitted over HDMI. You can even setup to select which source to upconvert and which not to. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 4:31:01 PM PDT
Thank you very much! I guess my only other question is have you ever not used the video upscaling feature? If so, what kind of source was it and why didn't you leave it on? I was thinking that maybe for video games and fast action movies that the upscaling might introduce some lag.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 4:55:38 PM PDT
I have not disabled the upscaling feature other than using the pass through feature when the receiver is off where the image is not upscaled. But I get what you mean. I am assuming that the video and audio portions are usually synced up before passing it through the HDMI output which should take care of such lags, if any. Just an assumption for now.

Posted on May 17, 2011 1:23:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2011 1:25:04 PM PDT
Mastercard says:
Hey Chetan, where is the fan located? is it in the middle right below the cover? Is it blowing the air out or in the unit? Can you feel the noise from the fan during quite scene say movie viewing?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 4:58:31 PM PDT
The fan is on the top center towards the front panel and blows upwards. It has not come on since I have been using the receiver as it has not got that hot inside. It is supposed to come on automatically if it gets hot inside the receiver.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 12:55:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2011 12:55:59 AM PDT
Mastercard says:
Ok that's what I expected. It should be controlled by a thermostat then so it can run automatically as power demand arises. Customers needs to perform maintenance cleaning depends on how often 609 is being used. It can be ideal to check once a year on the fan blades for the dust presence. I supposed the OEM has to write the procedure on the Owner's manual.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›