5.0 out of 5 stars A great starter camera if you want better pics than a point and shoot., April 27, 2011
This review is from: GE Power Pro X500-BK 16 MP with 15 x Optical Zoom Digital Camera, Black (Camera)
Like many other reviewers I am not a professional photographer, and this is my first digital camera. I do like taking pictures though and I've dealt with a few nice film cameras and some nice Fujifilm cameras (a P&S, 'bridge camera' and a DSLR) and I feel like this camera is most definitely worth the price. The X500 is a bridge camera, almost a SLR and almost a point and shoot. But it boasts some great specs and features that you cannot find anywhere in this price range.

Pros. The 16 megapixel sensor is great. Most entry level cameras of any type and brand start off at about 12 MP right now. GE has this model at 16. I think the other 16 MP cameras are over twice the price of this one. You can see the difference when you zoom in on your computer, the clarity is apparent.
The zoom on the X500 is awesome. This camera has 15X optical zoom and along with digital zoom (digital zoom takes away image quality as you zoom in so just keep that in mind when using it) it has a total of 60X zoom.
The X500 has a panoramic mode which I love because I wanted a panoramic film camera and now I don't have to buy one. This camera also has a setting for everything from fireworks to snow to fisheye. More than just night and outdoors.. there are 20 different presets and thats not including the different modes the camera has for shooting (it has manual, very important!)
So far I've taken 100+ pictures and the battery is still full on the display. The manual says it'll shoot 300+ pictures on a set of 4 batteries... thats pretty good.
Not a pro for some, but this camera is a bit hefty. I like it because its like you are actually holding onto something. But it is heavier than I thought it would be.
Viewfinders are sometimes left out of cameras now because they all have screens, but this one has an electronic viewfinder (for those sunny days) I think thats a nice perk.
The video quality is better than I expected, though its not HD. The sound is so-so but thats the case on everything with a recorder.

Cons. The screen resolution and quality isn't the greatest (I have a 3 year old Creative mp3 player that has a much nicer screen and it's smaller.) Like most cameras though you look at the screen and its grainy and the color doesn't look quite right but you snap the picture/ upload and it looks like it should when its on the computer screen (or printed out.) I think they had to cut corners somewhere.
The lens pops out when you turn it on and the lens cap pops off, even if you just want to look at the pictures on your SD. And I also do not like the lens cap. It just slides on. No clips.
The sound effects were annoying, but theres a setting to turn it off (saves your battery anyway.)
Not a biggie but the SD slot is in the battery compartment. Just out of the way I guess.
The camera is a bit noisy, you can hear the processor working and the internal stuff moving around at times. More of a side note than a con though.

Bottom line is I'm not sure how long the X500 will last (because I got it in the mail two days ago) but so far I'm very glad that I bought this camera. It's a lot like Fuji's bridge camera and if you know the menus and buttons from their cameras then this thing will be a snap because its pretty much a carbon copy. The layout is simple enough for a beginner or teen who's looking into photography and it wont break the bank like a nikon or canon with the same specs.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2011 6:06:07 PM PDT
Sunsetlover says:
Mike, thanks for the thorough review! Just a few points/questions:
Be careful with the MP number. Do a search on why cramping megapixels into a tiny CCD is not a good idea.
Can you use the optical zoom and OIS in video? Btw, it says 720p, that's considered HD in cameras.
How does the panorama work? is it 3 pics stitched in-camera? Can you post a pic here?
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2011 8:14:55 AM PDT
Mike says:
You can zoom in video using optical and digital. Amazon says it'll record in 720p, but it only records in 480. The manual says 480 and its clear when looking at the video that it's not HD. GE's site claims the camera is freezeproof and shockproof w/ 1080p video... just a typo.
The panorama is unknown... I haven't messed with it yet because I just took it out a few times. I'll post something when I get it.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 2:27:37 PM PDT
AllieRivers says:
I really like this camera! I love that it has fisheye effect and it's 14 MP , I don't know much about cameras but I was thinking of buying this for my boyfriends who has recently decided to study photography, would you recommend it for that? Or do you think it would be better to invest a little bit more on another camera? From your review it sound good :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 6:04:31 AM PDT
Mike says:
I would recommend it for a photographer starting out or anyone who wants to take a good quality picture without spending $600 on a camera body and an extra $500 per lens. It's a good camera with almost all of the bells and whistles at a very low price. Other reviews for the 14 MP version say that it is a Fujifilm camera with GE labeling. It sounds right because they look almost exactly the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 7:12:34 AM PDT
Awesome! Thank you :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 8:04:39 AM PDT
Mike says:
sunset, i used the panorama yesterday and it really couldnt be easier. you just have to take the first picture and then it displays a line thru the screen to keep it level then you have to match up 2 circles and it automatically takes the next 2 pictures for you. easier panorama than anything ive seen and its a nice feature.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 5:07:27 PM PDT
AllieRivers says:
Can you please please tell me where i can find the fish eye ? I just read the manual and it wasn't that helpfull...

Posted on May 7, 2011 12:33:18 PM PDT
stacey says:
Hello,
I will be taking a trip to a aquarium this fall and I need to purchase a camera to be able to take clear and crisp pictures of the animal during a aquatic show and while they are swimming. I have been shopping around for a moderatly priced camera to meet my requirements. In your opinion would this camera work for that purpose?

Posted on May 12, 2011 2:07:55 AM PDT
exProphecy says:
Hey Mike! I recently just got this camera and is quite pleased! Only problem I have is getting the smile detection to work. Have you tested it out yet? It's not working me nor my brother.. =[

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 9:35:24 AM PDT
Mike says:
i've never tried it out, but it seems to always be on when i turn the camera on. i know if you press the button again it has another icon with a wider smile... im not sure which one is which (im sure it's in the manual.) im also not totally sure how to use it (hold the button down until someone smiles?) i'd say play with it a bit and if you cannot figure it out check the manual out.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›