2.0 out of 5 stars Did not work with AT&T, and is painfully outdated, January 30, 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Advance ST27A Unlocked Android Phone--U.S. Warranty (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I really loved my first Sony phone - the W810i, which is like the Windows Millennium Edition of phones. It was the only model at the time that didn't have A2DP Bluetooth Streaming Audio, but I liked everything else about it, so I kept it.

Fast forward four years and I finally upgraded to another Sony - the Xperia Mini Pro. It was great for about three months then the keyboard died.

I decided to give Sony one more chance, having some latent feelings of attachment toward that little green dot or something. I don't know.

What I do know is this phone does not work on the AT&T network where I live in South Carolina. Calls to tech support went about as well as you can imagine, and Googling for tips didn't solve my issue either. Some folks were lucky enough to get theirs to work, but mine would never get data.

However, I might have been able to live without data. Everything else worked, including WiFi, and I'm a very light data user.

But the specs on this phone are tragic. I had a limited grasp of what processor speeds and memory size meant for a phone, so I didn't pay too much attention to the reviews that said it was "sluggish". I wasn't sure what frame of reference they were measuring it by, so I figured, I'm not picky, I'll give it a try.

Holy. Crap. I updated it to Ice Cream Sandwich, since it still ships with Gingerbread. That probably should have been my first warning, actually, but hindsight, etc.

It took 34 minutes to upgrade, and after that, it was noticeably slower. I'm talking countable seconds between touching an app and the time it actually opened.

Now, please be aware that it's very possible that I got some kind of dud phone made on a Friday. Maybe your experience will be different. I'm just relating mine.

Between the slowness of the operating system and the fact that I couldn't get data to work, I ended up returning this phone.

[Add comment]