5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value for a Fantastic Press!, September 30, 2004
This review is from: Bodum Chambord Coffee Press (Kitchen)
Having discovered French Press coffee a year ago I bought the Bodum Columbia Insulated French Press, which I love. However spare parts are not readily available for that line yet. So I started shopping for a press that I could get spare parts for. I have also read that a glass press can produce a slightly more complex flavored cup of coffee because the coffee will cool slightly while brewing. So I picked this press out based on my past happiness with Bodum products. I am the only coffee drinker in my house so I decided that I did not require a large 12-cup press. I also knew that I would not drink all that coffee before it became too cool. This is my first 8-cup press. I will spare you a review filled of reasons why you should use a French press to make coffee and instead tell you why you should buy this French press to do it! So here I go.

Durability- This press is composed of a glass beaker that lifts out of the metal-banded handle assembly. It has a metal lid that is polished to a beautiful mirror finish. Also has a metal plunger rod, metal filter and metal filter ring and cross filter base. However it has a plastic shoulder nut (my one complaint, although I was able to get a metal replacement from Bodum at no cost). The way the plunger assembly goes together is simple and can be assembled easily by hand. First the plunger rod is fitted through the hole in the lid. Then the shoulder nut is screwed onto the rod. Then the large metal ring with round holes and a spring around the edge goes on. Beneath that the fine metal filter then beneath that the cross filter base. The rod screws into the cross base and secures everything up against the shoulder nut. This description may seem somewhat complex however it is very simple in practice and fool proof. The plunger lid assembly is quite sturdy and durable. The metal-banded handle assembly, which holds the beaker, is also sturdy and polished. The handle is a very hard plastic and comfortable to grip and hold. Fully assembled you have a durable (for glass) press that can easily stand up to daily use. I use mine daily with no problems at all.

Ease of cleaning- This press easily disassembles by hand and can be completely cleaned with little effort. I soak mine in hot soapy water after every use then rinse clean and towel dry. Proper cleaning is critical to maintaining consistent coffee flavor. A dirty coffee maker will taint coffee with bad tastes. This press cleans very easily, much easier than my old drip machine did!

Ease of use- This press is used as any French press. Drop your grounds in, add water off of boil, let grounds steep for 4-5 minutes then slowly press the plunger down. Pour and enjoy. If you make more than you will drink right away then pour it into a separate insulated thermos. I leave my coffee in this until I have it drank. With the lid turned to close the spout this coffee stays warm enough for me for a half hour. Face it; the first cup will be too hot to drink right away. The second will be hot but drinkable. The third will be warm. This makes 2-3 coffee mugs. Great for a single drinker who likes 2 or 3 mugs at a time, like me. Or great for 2 light coffee drinkers (a mug and a half a piece). Coffee will always be best the sooner is it consumed after brewing is completed. In this press or any press/coffee maker.

Overall quality- For around $30 this is a fantastic value. Like I said above I was leery of the plastic shoulder nut which could wear after multiple assemblies and disassemblies, but I was able to get a metal replacement at no cost making this a much better value. All in all a great investment in better coffee drinking and piece of mind. I also like the ability to get spare parts if I should ever need them.

In closing I really love this press it holds up to daily use and maintains it great classic looks. Makes great coffee and is perfect for a single coffee drinker who likes 2 or 3 mugs of coffee as I do. It's smaller size than my 12-cup press makes for easier cleaning and handling. I am very happy with this purchase and for $30 you cannot go wrong. I recommend this to you highly! Whether you are new to French press coffee making or like me wanted a smaller easier to clean daily coffee press. I still love my 12-cup for parties, but this press is my personal daily coffee maker of choice. I love it!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]