1.0 out of 5 stars nike + features great...as music player awful, September 29, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8 GB Graphite (6th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Bought this for the Nike + feature...liked the idea of a music player built into a system to track my runs. The Nike + part of this unit worked great, easy to understand and easy to use....in fact I like it so much I am going back to my old mp3 player (creative product) and getting the nike sportsband so I can keep using the Nike + features. However I have sent back two different ipod nano units due to serious problems with the music component of this device.

2) The headphone jack is not very secure...using the ipod's headphones and another set of headphones from a different mp3 player the cord came out easily, when the cord was jostled sound would cut in and out making listening to the music annoying. Also becuase the radio antenna is the headphones it was constantly losing radio reception or unable to locate stations.

3) Volume control seems like it would be easy with buttons on the side..however on the units I tried the volume would lock itself to either no sound at all or set so loud I could only keep one port in one ear. I like to be able to adjust volume as I am running or working out based on the song, the environment, etc...not very happy with how difficult it was to deal with the volume.

4) When I could get radio reception and made sure not to jostle the cord (sitting down outside) the unti shut itself off after 60 seconds unless I kept hitting icons on the unit. It didn't do this when I was playing from my songlists...just in the radio mode.

5) When you want to shuffle a song while running...you have to wake the unit up then either figure out where on the screen to tap (without getting your sweaty fingers all over the unit and without tripping as you look at the screen) or shake until hopefully the device realizes you are trying to change songs (I was not very impressed with the shake to shuffle feature).

6)This device does not come with a manual...you have to go to the apple page to get the manual and download it. Customer service was useless. THank goodness for Amazon's amazing return procedures!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2010 4:52:56 PM PST
>>1) This unit does not have a way to completely shut it off...only a sleep wake button. If you do not make absolutely sure that all music is stopped, the radio is off, this thing drains battery life very quickly because you cannot fully shut the unit off.

In many ways, I want this thing. But the comment above is a deal-breaker. I have a 5th Gen NANO and several lovely Shuffles. All I really want from the device is audio (including the radio) and the ability to navigate in it. I love the Shuffle-like form factor. On the surface, this would appear to be my ultimate device.

BUT...I never use my 5th Gen NANO. And the reason is that it is ~always~ out of battery. No matter how careful I try to be the thing seems to defeat me. For me, it was a complete waste of a lot of money. I've read the manual for this one and their "intelligent" power management sounds good. But having been so badly burned before, I can not ignore this review. (One of the greatest thing about the Shuffles is that you have to almost make a willful effort to run them out of battery.)

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 2:18:37 PM PST
Erica Reid says:
Fantastic review! I was hoping that maybe the small look was not as small as I thought, but I just saw one up close and it's safe to say that I will not purchase. Touch screen is aggravating enough on a full size but to add that feature to such a small frame means I will be getting pretty annoyed. I have the Zune HD and I am not thrilled on how thin it is and I am not so keen on the touch screen but other than that it's a great player so I will stick with what I have! I am still looking for an Ipod I can buy that won't agitate me and it sounds like this one will not be it either.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 3:40:35 PM PST
M. S. Kubota says:
I can't help to wonder if you got a defective unit or prototype/ very early release unit. I bought mine only a few weeks after its release and have used many different IEMs (Klipsch, Denon, Sony, Ultimate Ears) and each plug into the headphone jack VERY securely. I cannot comment on the radio antenna because I do not use the radio. But the 1/8" plugs I use all give a reassuring *click* each time I plug them in. Also, the volume control- what you described sounds like a software bug or defect. I have not encountered this problem and in fact love the volume control and the granularity of adjustment. I wish I could say the same for my iPad, where each click of the volume is equal to about 3 clicks on my Nano... VERY annoying.

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 1:58:44 PM PST
Merlot679 says:
Excellent review. My wife gave me one, yesterday, for Christmas, and I discovered all of your mentioned flaws inside four hours of ownership.

the radio reception seems directly linked to the fitting of the headset jack into the Nano; which, mostly, means it doesn't. Making the radio useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 5:47:55 PM PST
D. Varga says:
Having owned the 16g for nearly a month now, and with daily use I have not noted any of the problems mentioned by M. Chapman with the exception of not being able to actually stop the music. The first thing I loose when getting a new mP3 player is the inferior ear buds. And iPod ear buds are no exception. I use a set of high-end Sony's. The sound is far superior and they connect very securely. Volume control works as advertised. I don't use the radio and don't know anyone that does. I would rather apple use that space for something more useful. I deselected the "shake to shuffle" option after accidentally shuffling an audio-book. I happily downloaded my manual, not wanting to accumulate more "paper" in my office. My unit does not have the Nike+ feature, so I cannot comment on that issue....sounds like defective units...which I agree doesn't sound so good for iPod products.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 9:58:05 AM PDT
HPvet says:
Excellent review. I have owned this unit for several months and it appears that the battery issue is fixed on mine after I updated via iTunes. But, I want my old thumb wheel and screen back!!! On the thumb wheel I could easily adjust the volume or select a song with one hand while riding cycle, elliptical or walking. The stupid touch screen takes two big hands on a unit the size of a matchbook. Add to that my recent experience on the beach where the screen just didn't have the brightness to be read. So, two hands to try to manipulate a screen I can't read! What were the designers thinking? Worst iPod I've owned from an operational standpoint. Wish I could dump it or return it...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 8:06:33 AM PDT
I don't understand how these new touch screens are supposed to be an improvement over buttons and scroll wheels. I have an older model Zune that I keep in my pocket during walks. I can adjust the volume or skip songs just by pushing a button or two. I'd hate to have the dig out the device, take off my gloves (I live in MN), and start smearing my fingers on the screen just to turn down the volume. I didn't buy the new Zune HD for this reason. "New" is not necessarily "improved."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 8:37:58 AM PDT
D. Varga says:
I agree. I still have my old Zen NX jukebox with it's 30 gig hd and a replaceable battery....it is how ever rather clunky and heavy. and fyi the ipod nano has manual control buttons.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›